Originally known as Beestonley Lane Church, the Providence Congregational Church is situated in Beestonley Lane, Stainland.
The Independents had joint services at Stainland Independent Church until a split in 1812.
From 1813, Congregationalists had occupied rooms at Jagger Green, then at Scarr Hill.
The new Church opened in Beestonley Lane on 11th August 1814 – by Dr Hamilton of Leeds and Dr Raffles of Liverpool – following a disagreement about prayers between the groups which had shared Stainland Independent Church. The Church cost £1,700 to build.
Around 1840, a new Manse was built. The Church was extended in 1838-1839 (to almost double its previous size), and 1864, and again in 1873. It was eventually a large 3-storey building, with vestry and Sunday School on the lowest level.
Around 1870, a new cemetery and mortuary church were added. This and the extensions to the Church cost £2,000.
The church rented Scarborough School – which stands across the lane – for use as a Men's Institute. In 1912, they bought and renovated the building.
Around 1850, an organ was bought from the Sion Church, Halifax – for £100 – and installed in the Church. Around 1860, it was enlarged at a cost of £193. It was extended again and inaugurated in 1892.
In 1895, the small neo-Gothic pulpit was replaced by one which was
big enough to hold a brass band
The original gallery on cast-iron columns extends round to the organ and choir loft.
Inside the church, were memorials tablet to founders of the church, including John Holroyd and John Edwards, and also to those who served and died in World War I and World War II. Transcriptions of some of these memorials and tablets be seen in the Page of Memorials at Providence Congregational Church, Stainland.
The church joined the United Reformed Church in 197?.
Ministers at the Chapel have included
The last service was held in the Church in 1984.
The Church was converted into 10 flats .
The organ needed considerable renovation, and the parts were sold.
The graveyard at the west end of the Church was converted into a car park for the flats. The bodies were reinterred in two new graves – numbered 661 and 662 – in the graveyard at the top of Beestonley Lane, adjacent to Fall Spring Gardens.
The small graveyard at the front east end of the Church still remains.
See Benjamin Taylor, Rowland Norcliffe, Providence Congregational Church, Stainland: War Memorial, Providence Congregational Church, Stainland: Graveyard and Southgate Methodist Chapel, Elland: War Memorials
Page Ref: QQ_25
|site search by freefind