Saint John the Evangelist, Clifton

In October 1856, Rev Thomas Atkinson of Hartshead proposed the construction of a chapel of ease for the people of Clifton who would otherwise have to travel to the Church at Hartshead.

Others involved in the proposal included Henry Wickham Wickham [Chairman] and architects Mallinson & Healey.

The Church was built on land bought from Sir George Armytage in 1857-1859. He gave stone from Blakelaw Quarry for the construction.

It was suggested that the Church be called St George's.

The farmer who tenanted the land was unhappy with the sale and ploughed the land to make it difficult for the developers. Sir George made him restore the land to its former state.

The Church was designed by Mallinson & Healey. The foundation stone was laid by Sir George Armytage on 1st April 1858.

The spire and roof of the new Church were damaged during a storm on 1st February 1859.

The Church opened on 9th June 1859.

The Church was consecrated – and the burial ground was opened – on 4th September 1860. Rev Daniel Smith was the first curate-in-charge.

The first wedding at the Church was that between Alfred Stott and Lucy Wood [1875].

The Church acquired full parochial status in January 1887, when the Rev John Child was inducted as the first Vicar.

It became the parish church when Clifton became a parish separate from Hartshead-cum-Clifton in 1887.

In 1890, a piece of land next to the Church was given by Sir George Armytage for the vicarage.

In 1904, a new organ – by Wentworth & Company – was installed.

There is work – carved figures, an oak seat, a pulpit, a desk, and a memorial to World War I – by Harry Percy Jackson and Albert Baldwin.

In 1926, a new burial ground was established when the original graveyard was full.

The original vicarage was sold in 19??.

In 1994, the steeple needed repairs. This and other building work were carried out, including the installation of pews in the nave, the removal of the chancel and transepts, and the relocation of the pulpit and the font

In 2000, a Mother & Child by sculptor Peter Eugene Ball was installed.

A list of some of the Vicars of Saint John's Church, Clifton is given in a separate Foldout

The records for the Church are held at the West Yorkshire Archive Service office in Wakefield (Collection WDP27): Baptisms [1859-1983], Banns [1875-1992], Marriages [1875-1991] and Burials [1860-1919].

See Clifton Burial Ground, Clifton Handbell Ringers, Zillah Ramsden, St John's Church, Clifton: War Memorial, St John's Church, Clifton: Graveyard and Joseph Taylor

© Malcolm Bull 2023
Revised 15:49 / 28th November 2023 / 5909

Page Ref: QQ_84

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind