Salem Methodist New Connexion Chapel, North Parade


The Chapel of 1798

In 1797, a group of Methodists under the leadership of Kilham and Thom – left South Parade Methodist Chapel and went to worship in rooms over cottages in Ann Street, behind the Buck, Halifax,

In 1798, when these premises proved too small, the Methodists bought two acres of land were bought in Needless later known as North Parade – and subsequently built Salem Methodist New Connexion Chapel, North Parade,

Some members argued that people would not come to the Chapel because it was too far from the town and remote. This was the first Chapel to be built by the New Connexion Methodists and opened in 1799. Much of the work was done by members. Chandeliers from this building were sold later to Making Place Academy, Soyland. Subsequently, more land was bought for a graveyard around the chapel.

The Chapel stood at the south-corner of the junction of North Parade and St James's Road.

The Chapel of 1815

It was thought to be unsafe and was rebuilt by the members and opened in 1815. The minister went to Hull to buy timber, and other members bought the building materials locally. This was a plain square building. The chapel had family pews for some of the grander families. In other pews, worshippers had their backs to the pulpit. Some seats were so narrow that people had to stand for relief. In honour of Conference which was held at Salem in 1817, the three galleries were painted white. Salem was the head of the Methodist New Connexion Halifax North Division [1856].

On 3rd May 1864, Mrs Sunderland was one of a number of ladies who attended the stalls at a bazaar here to raise funds to liquidate the debt on Shibden Methodist New Connexion Chapel.

The Chapel of 1871

Salem Chapel was enlarged in 1871-1877. The foundation stone of the new Chapel was laid on 28th August 1871 by J. H. Brierley of London. On 4th December 1872, the dedicatory services for the new Chapel began.

There was a burial ground around the Chapel.

A Sunday School was built just north of the Chapel [1857]. By 1870, this was so full that a branch church and school was started in Hanson Lane.

The Church closed in 1964 and was demolished in the 1960s when the road system in the area was redeveloped. The congregation moved to the new Salem Church at Richmond Street.

Details of the organ in the Chapel can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

Local people & families

A great many local people and families were associated with the Chapel, including

Ministers & Preachers

Ministers and lay preachers at the Chapel have included


Daughter Chapels

Daughter Chapels of Salem include

See Akroyd Place, Halifax, Hanover Methodist Chapel, Halifax, Horner Charity Bequest, St Andrew's Methodist Chapel, Queens Road, Salem Methodist New Connexion, North Parade: Graveyard, Salem Methodist New Connexion Sunday School, North Parade, Salem North Parade Pierrot Troupe and Salem United Methodist Chapel, Halifax

© Malcolm Bull 2023
Revised 16:09 / 1st April 2023 / 11243

Page Ref: QQ_993

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind