The following people owned or occupied property in Southowram in 1844.
Please email me if you can link any of these people to their entry on the website, or if you can add deatils of any individual
The Halifax Guardian [Saturday 4th May 1844] announced Auction Sales
Manor & Township of Southowram – Important Landed Investments
Sale by Auction on the 3rd and 4th days of Jun 1844, at the house of Mr Jeremiah Jennings, the Manor House Inn, Southowram.
- Lot 1 FARMHOUSE with buildings belonging and in the occupation of Mr Jeremiah Jennings situate and called Bank Top in the several occupations of the said Mr Jennings and Mr Josh Townsend.
- Lot 2 Several Closes of Land on North Side of, and adjoining Lot 1 occupied by Mr Joseph Townsend.
- Lot 3 Several Closes of Land adjoining Lot 2 called Flat Field, Upper Womersley, Middle Womersley, Lower Womersley and Lower Rough occupied by Mr William Thwaite.
- Lot 4 Several Closes of Land West of Lot 3 adjoining Long Lane called The Two Beacon of Long Field occupied by Mr John Jennings.
- Lot 5 Several Dwellinghouses or Cottages situate Bank Top in several occupations of Jonas Smith, John Collinson, Robert Womersley and James Whitworth.
- Lot 6 Valuable MESSUAGE occupied by Mr Joseph Townsend called Upper Marsh with several Closes of Land.
- Lot 7 Capital MESSUAGE or Mansion House with Coach-housing, Stables, etc., called Law Hill occupied by George Watkinson and with several Closes of Land occupied by George Watkinson.
- Lot 8 FARMHOUSE called Upper Marsh with two Closes of Land in several occupations of Jeremiah Jennings, Mrs Jane Jennings and William Laycock.
- Lot 9 Twelve Cottages adjoining Common Lane and in the South Side of the Little Ing parcel of Lot 6 occupied by James Thrippleton and Others.
- Lot 10 Eight Cottages situate or near to the Cock & Bottle Inn in several occupations of A. Earnshaw and Others.
- Lot 11 Valuable and well accustomed INN with Barns, Stables, Yards.,etc., called The Manor House Inn occupied by Jeremiah Jennings and Five Day's Work adjoining or near to the Inn occupied by William Horsfall and Others.
- Lot 12 Several Closes of Land adjoining near Whitegate and Higgins Lane called the Long Field, Whinny Field, Far Whinny Field, Daffodil Close and Plantations occupied by Jeremiah Jennings, and Six Cottages situate at the junction of Whitegate and Higgins Lane in the occupation of James Sheard and Others.
- Lot 13 Two Closes of Land on the South Side and adjoining Lot 12 called Footpath Field, and Four Day's Work occupied by Jeremiah Jennings.
- Lot 14 Two Closes of Land on the South Side and adjoining Lot 13 called Primrose Close and Paradise Close occupied by Jeremiah Jennings and Four Cottages occupied by John Benn and Others.
- Lot 15 MESSUAGES or Dwellinghouses called High Grove lying on the Upper or East Side of the Road annexed and appropriated thereto occupied by Richard Mitchell, Joshua Womersley and William Throp.
- Lots 16 & 23 Not named, were Closes of Land in, and at the bottom of, Southowram Bank
Several of the Lots present very desirable sites for the Erection of Respectable houses and Farmsteads whilst others are believed to contain valuable Beds of Stone.
Lithographic Plans may be had at the Manor House in Southowram.
Messrs Alexander, Solicitors, Halifax.
Revised 16:19 /11th September 2020 / 6598
Page Ref: S164_1
|site search by freefind|