Schools & Sunday Schools



Earnshaw's: Misses Earnshaw's School, BrighouseRef 18-667
Around 1845, the Misses Earnshaw ran a ladies' day school at New Road

Eastfield SchoolRef 18-82
Stoney Lane, Lightcliffe.

Built in 1969, to replace Victoria School, Rastrick & St Martin's Secondary Modern School, Brighouse.

In 1985, it became Hipperholme & Lightcliffe High School then Lightcliffe Academy

Eastwood Board School, StansfieldRef 18-325
Board school. Recorded in 1876 & 1897.

See Thomas Greenwood

Eastwood SchoolRef 18-122
Built in 1879. It accommodated 339 children [1917].

Demolished in 19??

Ebenezer Methodist Sunday School, NorthowramRef 18-835
The Sunday School for Ebenezer Methodist Church opened on 15th July 1933

Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Sunday Schools, HalifaxRef 18-259
The Sunday schools – and the Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel alongside – were designed by Walsh & Maddock, and opened in 1922

Edleston's SchoolRef 18-765
By 1871, widow Jane Edleston was running a school at 18 Bank House Lane, Salterhebble.

In 1871, she was assisted by her daughter, Mary Ann. They had a boarder, Thomas Kershaw [aged 7].

In 1881, the pupils/boarders included

  • Mary J. Shaw [aged 11]
  • Florence Shaw [aged 9]
  • Mary Sugden [aged 12]
  • Henry Hodgson & Milford Ayrton, sons of  John Henry Wadsworth
  • Walter Butterworth [aged 8]
  • Arthur Butterworth [aged 7]

By 1891, the family had moved to Burnley

This & associated entries use material contributed by Jeffrey Knowles

Elim School, WarleyRef 18-881
Recorded in 1901, when 2 single women teachers at Elim SchoolAnnie Eaton [b 1865] from Tunstall Staffs and Adelaide Frazer [b 1873] from Oldham - were living at 2 Parsonage Cottage, Warley

Question: Does anyone know anything about the School?


This & associated entries use material contributed by June Illingworth

Elise's Infants' SchoolRef 18-759
Around 1830, Elizabeth Elise ran an infants' school at North Parade, Halifax [1830, 1838]

Elland Board SchoolRef 18-466

Elland Church of England Junior & Infant SchoolRef 18-108
Westgate, Elland

Elland Grammar SchoolRef 18-E85

In 1933, Brooksbank School became known as Elland Grammar School.

See J. Stewart Ross

Elland National SchoolRef 18-280
Westgate. A national school founded in 1846 and opened on the last day of that year. It cost £1,200 to build. It was enlarged in 1895 at a cost of £3,000. It accommodated 237 boys, 219 girls and 250 infants [1917].

It was damaged by fire in 1942. Pupils were moved to the Brooksbank Institute and other local schools.

The sun-dial from Box Hall, Elland was erected here in 1935. It was lost following the fire.

The school was rebuilt and became a Church of England school.

See David Bastide, Lower Edge National School, Elland, Frances Thornhill's Charity School and Samuel Thornton

Elland Dame School, Upper EdgeRef 18-909
Recorded in 1851 & 1861, when Mary Shackleton was a mistress here

This & associated entries use material contributed by Pauline Stainton

Elland Secondary SchoolRef 18-E84
Aka Elland & District Secondary School.

In 1911, Brooksbank School became Elland Secondary School.

On 1st November 1933, the School changed its name to The Grammar School, Elland

Elland Secondary School for GirlsRef 18-602
Recorded in 1905 at Wakefield Road / Upper Edge

Elland Sunday SchoolRef 18-711
In her Olde Eland, Lucy Hamerton writes about the Sunday School attached to Elland Parish Church and records that, in the 19th century, the Sunday School for girls was held in Grace Ramsden's School. The boys' school was held in the Old Prison, then in a room in Casson Place, then in the Jepson Lane Baptist Chapel.

See Tomazia Holroyd and Provident Independent Sunday School, Elland

Elland Wesleyan Sunday SchoolRef 18-829
The Sunday School for Elland Wesleyan Church was built in 1825

Ellison Memorial Schools, Sowerby BridgeRef 18-215
Tuel Lane. Church schools.

Opened in 1893, superseding Sowerby Bridge National School. The school was named for Rev John Ellison.

The building housed 3 separate schools: Sowerby Bridge Mechanics' Institute on the ground floor; the infants' and girls' school on the first floor; the boys' school on the second floor.

In 1932, the boys and the senior girls moved out, leaving the infants and junior girls.

In 1958, the West Riding County Council announced plans to close the school, and, despite a fierce campaign by parents and church officials, the local education committee held firm, but in May 1960, the committee was overruled by the Ministry of Education and the school stayed.

In 1971, the school closed and Christ Church Junior School opened.

It was demolished in 1973.

The steps of the school can still be seen between Beech Road and Tuel Lane.

A plaque recording the laying of the foundation stones, stands in the churchyard at Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge

This & associated entries use material contributed by Elizabeth Whitmarsh

Empsall's: Miss Empsall's AcademyRef 18-447
A 19th century school for girls held in St Martin's Terrace, Brighouse

Emsley's: Miss Emsley's SchoolRef 18-939
Recorded in 1916, when the pupils of Miss Emsley of 37 Clapton Avenue, Halifax presented a concert in aid of local war charities

English School, SowerbyRef 18-458

See William Shackleton

Evening ClassesRef 18-572
In 1856, the evening classes provided by the Halifax Mechanics' Institute included Writing & Arithmetic and Reading for Juveniles and Adults, and Mathematical, History, Grammar, Drawing, and French. for adults.

In 1886, Rev Francis England Millson was a prime mover in establishing evening classes for boys and girls over the age of 13.

The first classes were held at Queens Road Board School, Lee Mount Board School, and Akroyd Place School.

The 2d weekly fee was refunded if the scholar achieved 100% attendance

Ewood Hall Ladies' School, LuddendenRef 18-407
Recorded in 1851, when Elizabeth wylde attended the school

This & associated entries use material contributed by Roger Beasley

Ewood Malt Kiln School, TodmordenRef 18-303
Established in 1842.

See Ewood Mill, Stansfield and Miss Sarah Greenbank

Ewood School, MidgleyRef 18-335
Recorded in 1857

Exley County Secondary Modern SchoolRef 18-24
Aka Exley High School

Exley High SchoolRef 18-211
Park Lane. Aka Exley Secondary Modern School. Secondary school opened in August 1952.

In 1992, it became South Halifax High School.

In 2005, it became Park Lane High School

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 17:43 / 3rd May 2024 / 16515

Page Ref: S70_E

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind