Schools & Sunday Schools

H



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Haigh's School, HalifaxRef 18-560
Around 1870, Mr Haigh ran a private adventure school at Coe's Buildings, Halifax.

It is recorded as a boys and mixed school and could accommodate 24 pupils [1871]

Haley Hill CollegeRef 18-H581
Factory school established by Edward Akroyd in 1833. Charles Watson was the schoolmaster.

The school was extended in 1839, making it the largest school in Halifax.

The library had 300 members and a collection of 3000 books [1856].

In 1856, it was extended when the new Haley Hill Working Men's College was opened.

See Copley Library and Edward Howarth

Haley Hill Mixed Board SchoolRef 18-56
A board school

Haley Hill Shed Factory SchoolRef 18-339
A factory school built by the Akroyd family for the workers in their mills.

In 1839, this superseded the day school at Haley Hill Methodist New Connexion Church.

It had a library of 30 novels and 4,000 books

of the choicest moral, instructive, religious and scientific works

There were no charges and no fines.

In 1854, it became the school for the new parish of All Souls'.

In 1864, it was replaced by a new school which subsequently became the Parish Hall

Haley Hill Working Men's CollegeRef 18-H950
An extension to the Haley Hill College. It was inaugurated on 26th March 1856 by Edward Akroyd.

On 15th April 1857, the first distribution of prizes took place.

The College produced a handwritten magazine until 1866 when The Circulator was published.

See Mr Anderson, Haley Hill & New Town Allotment Gardeners' Society and Halifax Young Women's Institute

Halifax AcademyRef 18-838
Built at Wellesley Barracks, Halifax [2016]

Halifax Athenæum School of Elocution & OratoryRef 18-719
Recorded in 1938

Halifax British SchoolRef 18-723
Aka Albion Street British School.

A school was founded by subscription as a charity school for the poor of all religious denominations and originally opened in rented premises on 11th March 1813.

In 1818, the schoolroom – to educate the poor of all denominations – was built on Cabbage Lane Field on land conveyed by William Kershaw where it accommodated about 350 boys and girls.

It continued as a voluntary school until 1879 when the buildings were transferred to the Halifax School Board.

The Halifax Mutual Improvement Society met here.

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Charles Middleton [1881]
  • Miss Mary Jane Thorburn [1881]
  • Miss Mary E. Port (infants) [1881]

See William Corke and Joseph Thorp

Halifax Catholic High SchoolRef 18-804
In 1971, Sir Thomas More Catholic Secondary School became known as Halifax Catholic High School.

In 2000, it was renamed St Catherine's Roman Catholic High School

Halifax Commercial SchoolRef 18-956
Somerset House, 5 George Street, Halifax.

A Trade Directory [1922] described the establishment as

for rapid and thorough business training

See Halifax Junior Commercial School

Halifax Evening Continuation SchoolsRef 18-933

See Arthur Crabtree

Halifax Girls' Grammar SchoolRef 18-578
14 Blackwall. The private school was run by Miss A. Schelp and Miss E. Waite. Recorded in 1905 & 1907 It accommodated around 59 pupils

Halifax High SchoolRef 18-26
Recorded as Clare Hall School [1915].

Formed in 198?, when Clare Hall School and Haugh Shaw School merged.

In 2004, the school was named as one of the most improved schools in the country, and in January 2005, it was named the most improved school in Yorkshire.

In Spring 2005, the school moved to Wellesley Park

Halifax High School for GirlsRef 18-16
In December 1876, they took over Savile Hall, leasing the property from John Lewis for £150 a year.

The School opened in January 1877.

Headmistresses at the School have included

It accommodated 130 pupils, girls of secondary school age and boys aged up to 9 [1907].

As the number of scholars increased, other sites were used, including the Bluecoat School [1927].

On 21st June 1930, Mrs Howard Clay laid the foundation stone for a new Girls' High School at Craven Lodge. It was opened by Princess Mary on 21st September 1931 and was known as Princess Mary High School.

See Lucy Delf, Girls' High School, Clare Road, Halifax High School for Girls Company Limited and Naomi Royde-Smith

Halifax Higher Grade SchoolRef 18-721
See Mrs Celia Windsor

Halifax Junior Commercial SchoolRef 18-226
For girls.

It merged with the Halifax Secondary School in 19??.

See Halifax Commercial School

Halifax Ladies CollegeRef 18-576
The Ladies' College was run by Miss Mary E. Roebuck at Savile Park, Halifax [January 1898], and Savile College

The Ladies' College at Queen's Gate, Savile Park was run by the Misses Pannett [1905].

It offered a kindergarten and a transition class for children aged between 3 and 8. It accommodated around 210 pupils, girls aged 5 to 17 [1907]

Halifax Modern SchoolRef 18-228
The Halifax Board School became the Halifax Modern School in August 1931. It provided a practical education for boys and girls.

It became Clare Hall School / Halifax Secondary Modern School

Halifax Municipal Technical CollegeRef 18-H279
Francis Street, Halifax.

Aka Halifax Technical School and Halifax Tech.

In 1893, J. H. Whitley was a member of the Technical Instruction Committee which established the College as a consequence of the Technical Instruction Act [1889]. The Act allowed councils to levy a 1d rate for technical education in the town under the Department of Science and Art. The foundation of a technical school was recommended by the 32 members of the Committee, some of whom were the founders of engineering firms in the town.

In March 1893, Halifax Corporation agreed to use income from the Customs and Excise Returns – popularly known as whisky money – for the erection of a technical school.

The building was designed by Jackson & Fox.

The foundation stone was laid by William Hunter [24th May 1893].

The school opened in 1895, at a cost of £25,000, including equipment.

On 15th January 1896, George Henry Smith formerly opened the College.

It was taken over by Halifax Corporation in 1898.

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

In October 1900, Andrew Carnegie gave £750 for the foundation

Extensions were built in 1951. The buildings were shared with the Junior Technical School.

The college was named Percival Whitley College of Further Education in 1957. It was taken over by the Corporation in 1989.

The old building was demolished in 1999

Halifax National SchoolRef 18-84
14 Church Street. A national school.

Aka St John's National School, Halifax and Parochial School for Girls and Infants [1871].


Question: Various dates have been suggested for the building

1815 / 1835 / 1860s

and I may even have confused 2 separate institutions. Please email me if you can throw any light on the construction dates of the building

 

It accommodated more than 500 scholars. The land and building cost an estimated £1,330.

It is a distinctive building in Elizabethan / James I styles. The school stands at the corner of Church Street and Bath Street. The master's house was at the eastern end of the building.

The Yorkshire Penny Bank was at the same address [1875, 1894].

The last children at the school – the infants – were moved to the Parish Church School building in October 1948.

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Miss Florence Riley [1881]
  • Miss Elizabeth Lord (infants) [1881]

It was known as Empire Works [1972]. The building is now used by various small businesses and other occupiers, including dance studios

Halifax National School,Ref 18-945
In the 1830s, the Bell School, Harrison Road is frequently referred to simply as The National School, Halifax

Halifax New CollegeRef 18-H43
Part of Calderdale Colleges Corporation situated in the former Princess Mary High School building

Halifax New School, Hopwood LaneRef 18-904
Halifax New School – a private secondary and (possibly)  primary school – is recorded at Hopwood Lane [1920s].

The School was run by Cedric Philip Starke-Jones.

Halifax New School is recorded in 1936 when they were at Park House, Hopwood Lane. Henry R. Starke-Jones and his son Cedric Philip Starke-Jones were joint headmasters. This was (possibly) a secretarial college.

See South Parade New Schools

Halifax New School, South ParadeRef 18-453
Aka South Parade New Schools.

Opened 11th June 1860.

It was run by Henry R. Starke-Jones [1905, 1907]. It accommodated 110 pupils, boys aged 7 to 10.

See Halifax New School, Hopwood Lane

Halifax Parish Church Day SchoolRef 18-27
Aka Causey Hall. Stands next to Halifax Parish Church in Dispensary Walk. The new building was erected on the site of the old Waterhouse Almshouses. It is a Gothic building designed by Mallinson & Barber and built by Firth & Company of Queensbury.

The school was opened on 10th June 1867 by Charles Musgrave.

There was a large central hall measuring 130 ft by 28 ft, and 2 classrooms. The ground floor was originally an open space which was used as a large covered playground.

The total cost of construction was about £5000 which was raised by subscription.

John Crossley was involved in the negotiations to transfer the property from the Charity Commissioners for use by the school.

It accommodated 805 children [1917].

The school closed in October 1959.

It was later converted into a Church Hall and verger's flat. This work was completed in 1962.

In November 2007, a £140,000 restoration scheme was announced.

See Halifax National School and William Henry Secker

Halifax Ragged SchoolRef 18-501
Winding Road. A Ragged School at Halifax is recorded in 1852 when – through D. Bairstow – they donated £4 to the fund for the Holmfirth Flood.

The Halifax Ragged School opened on 2nd March 1857.

In January 1859, there were 50 scholars at the school.

On 4th November 1879, a number of people were appointed trustees of the Halifax Ragged School Trust:

Halifax Recreative Evening SchoolRef 18-720
An initiative by J. H. Whitley to encourage social skills and activities amongst young people

Halifax Riding SchoolRef 18-H290
St John's Lane. The building was 40 yards long by 20 yards wide and was designed by Horsfall's.

Opened in 1844 with stabling for 15 horses, an arena and a gallery for spectators.

There was an annual subscription of 1 guinea.

In 1845, it was open from 12:00 noon to 2:00 pm for instruction in the art of riding. At other times, it was used for horse breaking and horse exercise.

It was also used as a drill hall for the Second West Yorkshire Yeoman Cavalry.

In 1851, Hengler's Circus Royal was held there.

The building was subsequently used for shows and other entertainments. In February 1852, the first show of the Yorkshire Association for the Improvement of Domestic Poultry was held here.

It had been unused for several years and in 1910, it opened as the Electric Theatre. It is now a snooker club

Halifax School of ArtRef 18-722
Queens Road / Gibbet Street.

Built in Georgian style in 1903 as a School of Art.

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

It is now a community centre.

See Halifax Mechanics' Institute, Jocelyn Horner and Ralph Brainerd B. Rumney

Halifax School of ArtRef 18-724
Crossley Street. Established by Edward Akroyd to encourage local designers. Opened 24th January 1859.

In a letter to the Huddersfield Chronicle & West Yorkshire Advertiser on 19th February 1859 Edward Akroyd writes

At Halifax, we are now instituting a School of Design. A committee has been appointed to mature and carry out the scheme

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

See Henry Charles McCrea and W. H. Stopford

Halifax School of Integrated ArtsRef 18-H308
A part of Calderdale Colleges Corporation located partly in the Percival Whitley Building and partly in the Princess Mary High School Building

Halifax School of MusicRef 18-617
44 Heath Crescent, Free School Lane. Recorded in 1905, when the Principal was G. Frederic Sharpe

Halifax Secondary Modern SchoolRef 18-201
Skircoat Road / Prescott Street, Halifax.

Aka Halifax Council Secondary School [1936].

The name of Clare Hall School, Halifax in the 1950s.

It was popularly known as The Modern

Halifax Secondary SchoolRef 18-227
Established in 19??, and based at the Halifax Technical College. In 19??, it merged with the Halifax Junior Commercial School for girls.

In 1931, it became the Halifax Modern School.

See Halifax Secondary School War Memorial

Halifax Socialist Sunday SchoolRef 18-713
A Socialist Sunday School formed in 18??

Halifax Technical High SchoolRef 18-H326
Illingworth. Opened 5th May 1959.

See Junior Technical School

Hall's: Dr Hall's SchoolRef 18-361
An endowed private school at Boothtown. Recorded around 1710.

It accommodated 50 boys & girls [1845].

In 1865, it is referred to as Booth Town Grammar School.

In 1871, it had 43 full-time pupils and 94 half-timers.

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

Those who attended the school included David Hartley and Rev John Lister.

See Jonathan Hall

Hallam's: Margaret Hallam's Dancing SchoolRef 18-4
In the 1960s, the school was held at the Iron House, Pellon

Halliday's Academy, HalifaxRef 18-542
Around 1841, Mr Halliday ran an academy specialising in mathematical and commercial subjects at Blackwall, Halifax

Halliday's Gentlemen's Boarding School, HalifaxRef 18-853
In 1853, Mr Halliday
and appopriate asistants

ran a boarding school at Trinity House, Halifax

Halstead's School, HalifaxRef 18-533
Around 1820, John Halstead ran a school at Gainest Cottage Sunday School, King Cross.

In 1871, it is recorded as a boys', girls' and infants' private adventure school and could accommodate 474 pupils

Hanover Methodist Sunday SchoolRef 18-409
Hopwood Lane, Halifax. Built in 1869 for the Methodist New Connexion at Hanover Methodist Chapel, Halifax. It superseded the original School which was beneath the Chapel.

Alfred Ramsden taught here. Edwin Lumby was Superintendent.

On 29th May 1936, it was bought by Elim Foursquare Gospel Church and became Elim Pentecostal Church.

Demolished for redevelopment in 1962.

See Wilkinson Pickles

Harding's School, BrighouseRef 18-858
In 1840, Mrs Harding ran a ladies' day school in Brighouse

Hardy's School, BrighouseRef 18-668
In 1845, Elizabeth Hardy ran a ladies' boarding and day school at St Martin's Terrace, Brighouse.

In 1851, Alice Ann, Mary Eliza and Charlton, the children of William Barber were at Miss Elizabeth Hardy's school in Bonegate, Brighouse

Harley Wood All Saints' National SchoolRef 18-337
Stansfield. A national school recorded in 1871

Harley Wood Infant School, TodmordenRef 18-338
Recorded in 1949

Harley Wood School, TodmordenRef 18-653
Built in 1872. It accommodated 212 children [1917]

Harness's School, HalifaxRef 18-783
Around 1850, Sarah Harness ran a school at Grove Street, Halifax

Harrison Road National SchoolRef 18-N63
See Harrison Road Bell School

Harrison Road SchoolRef 18-H520
Carlton Street, Halifax. Sunday school for Harrison Road Congregational Church. Built in 1872 at a cost a little over £2,000. Used for the first time on Sunday, 20th April 1873

Harrison's School, BarkislandRef 18-922
Geoffrey Harrison established a school at Holden House, Barkisland [1864]

Harrison's School, HalifaxRef 18-552
Around 1870, Miss Harrison ran a private adventure school at North Parade, Halifax.

It is recorded as a girls' and infants' school and could accommodate 69 pupils [1871]

Hartnett's Boarding & Day School, HalifaxRef 18-495
Established by Rev Daniel Hartnett in 1834. The school was at Horton Street, Halifax [1836], 1 New Road, Halifax [1837], and Square Road, Halifax [1845]

Hartnett's Ladies' Boarding School, HalifaxRef 18-805
In 1845, Mary Hartnett had a ladies' boarding school at Square Road, Halifax

Hartnett's School, SowerbyRef 18-701
Around 1853, Rev Daniel Hartnett set up a private school at White Windows.

In 1861, Charles Hartnett ran a boarding school here

Hartshead Board SchoolRef 18-394
Built in 1856. Stood opposite Hartshead Sunday School

Hartshead Charity SchoolRef 18-961
In 1740, it was recorded as being endowed with £10 per annum, and having 18 poor children being taught English, Writing & Arithmetic, until they are competent and can be put out as apprentices. Books, pens, ink & paper are provided

Hartshead Parish SchoolRef 18-395
This stands in the churchyard at St Peter's Church, Hartshead.

The building was originally a resting place for coffins.

The School began in 1???.

It was discontinued around 1870.

The building is now used as a garden shed

Haslam's School, HalifaxRef 18-746
In 1822, W. C. Haslam had a school in Blackwall

Haugh Shaw Board School, HalifaxRef 18-39
Opened on 10th November 1879.

It was amongst the earliest schools built by the Halifax School Board.

There were 3 departments: Boys [with 250 spaces], Girls [252 spaces] and Infants [290 spaces].

The average attendance was 400 [1881], and 390 [1882].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • James Hatch [1881]
  • Miss Elizabeth Annie Rushforth [1881]
  • Miss S. L. Kenyon (infants) [1881]
  • Charles Edward Thompson [1900s]

Because of overcrowding in the Boys' and Girls' departments, a new Infants' School was proposed in 1901. This opened on 20th April 1903, at a cost of £6,300.

It accommodated 362 boys, 322 girls and 312 infants [1911].

In 1932, the Juniors left to form Haugh Shaw Junior & Infants' School. The remainder formed the Senior Elementary School in the original building.

It accommodated 249 seniors and 241 juniors [1936].

In 1992, it became Savile Park Primary School.

See Halifax High School and Haugh Shaw Road Infants' School Baths

Hay's School, HalifaxRef 18-519
Around 1835, Sarah Hay ran a private school at 21 Horton Street or Broad Street, Halifax.

See Hemingway's School, Halifax

Heap's Ladies' School, TodmordenRef 18-230
The Royd, Ferney Lee Lane. In 1840, Miss Heap, sister of John and George Heap of Cornholme, ran a seminary for young ladies

Heap's School, MytholmroydRef 18-697
Around 1861, Samuel Heap ran a boys' school at Mytholmroyd

Heath Grammar SchoolRef 18-H146
Free School Lane, Halifax. Aka Heath School and Halifax Free School, the Free Grammar School of Queen Elizabeth was founded by Dr John Favour in 1600

See Alexander & Hammerton, Crossley-Heath School, Bryan Crowther, Heath Grammar School Memorial, Heath Grammar School Memorial Gates, Heath Grammar School Grace, Heath Grammar School Seal, Heath School House and Dr Cyril Jackson

Heathfield Junior School, RishworthRef 18-222
A preparatory school for Rishworth School established in 1952 in the former Heathfield House

Heaton's SchoolRef 18-754
The name by which Mary Bedford's Charity School was known when Isaac Heaton was headmaster.

People who were educated here included Richard Kershaw

Hebden Bridge Grammar SchoolRef 18-H380
Originally Hebden Bridge United District Secondary School.

It became Riverside Junior School

Hebden Bridge Middle SchoolRef 18-831
Opened on 10th April 1926

Hebden Bridge National SchoolRef 18-30
Aka Mytholm School, Hebden Bridge

Hebden Bridge United District Board SchoolRef 18-H381

See Stubbings Board School, Hebden Bridge

Hebden Bridge United District Secondary SchoolRef 18-H462
Holme Street.

Aka The Grammar School.

The foundation stone was laid on 28th July 1908 by Joseph Greenwood. The school was opened on 22nd May 1909 by Mrs J. S. Higham. It superseded an earlier school in Pitt Street. It accommodated 150 pupils and cost £10,950.

The first headmaster was Morton Wager.

It became Hebden Bridge Grammar School.

Alice Longstaff was a pupil here.

See Hebden Bridge Secondary School Memorials

Hebden Royd Central SchoolRef 18-52

Hebden Royd Church of England (VA) Primary School, Hebden BridgeRef 18-112
Eaves Road. Originally Mytholm Church of England School

Helliwell's School, HalifaxRef 18-564
Around 1870, Mrs Helliwell ran a private adventure school at Queens Road, Halifax.

It is recorded as an infants' school and could accommodate 20 pupils [1871]

Hemingway's School, HalifaxRef 18-782
Sisters Catherine and Louisa Hemingway ran a private school at Horton Street, Halifax [1830, 1851].

In 1841, Catherine & Louisa, with Assistants Margaret Duncan [1818-1???] (Assistant), Margaret Wooler (independent), and 11 female pupils. were at Horton Street, Halifax.

In 1851, Catherine & Louisa were each shown as Conductress of a Private School with (possibly) Catherine Harriet Wooler (assistant), Margaret Duncan [1818-1???] (assistant), 12 female pupils, and 2 servants were at Horton Street, Halifax.

In 1861, Catherine was Proprietor of Ladies Boarding School with niece Harriet Linfoot [1829-1???], Margaret Duncan (assistant governess), Mary Gledhill (cook), Helen Gibson (housemaid), and 6 female pupils were at 2, Blackledge/23, Horton Street, Halifax – but Louisa was not listed there.

See Hay's School, Halifax and Hemmingway's School, Brighouse

Hemmingway's School, BrighouseRef 18-859
Around 1840, the Misses Hemmingway ran a ladies' boarding and day school in Brighouse


Question: Does anyone know if this was anything to do with Hemingway's School, Halifax?

 

Heptonstall Board SchoolRef 18-895
1 Spring Head. Recorded in 1881 & 1891, when Theophilus Bates was schoolmaster here and his wife was schoolmistress

Heptonstall Grammar SchoolRef 18-H373
In July 1642, the will of the Rev Thomas Greenwood endowed the Old Grammar School in Heptonstall. It had an endowment of 70 per year, for which the Master taught
the dead languages to all the boys of the township who apply for such instruction

The school was maintained by rents from property at School Land Farm, Colden.

The present building is the result of reconstruction in 1771.

It was used as a school until it closed in 1889.

In 1898, it became a branch of the Yorkshire Penny Bank.

It was given to the Council in 1954, and is now a museum.

A black oak desk from the school can still be seen in the Museum today.

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

Heptonstall Junior, Infant & Nursery SchoolRef 18-113
Townfield Lane. A school was built in 1879. It accommodated 244 children.

It was enlarged in 1903 and accommodated 276 children

Hesketh's School, NorthowramRef 18-498
Aka Northowram Academy.

Built by Rev Robert Hesketh to supplement his income when he was minister at Heywood's Chapel [1772]. It was built adjoining The Manse, for the Chapel.

When Scott's Academy moved from Heckmondwike to Northowram [1783], it was held at Hesketh's school.

When Northowram Academy closed, William Vint took over tuition of some of the students.

Those was attended the Academy included Dr Benjamin Boothroyd.

The building is now a private dwelling

Heywood's SchoolRef 18-401
See Bell School, Northowram

Higgin Lane Sunday School, SouthowramRef 18-843
Bank Top.

An advertisement of 1898 announced


November 1898. Sale by Auction – all that substantial building recently occupied as a Sunday School situated at the junction of Higgin Lane, Southowram – Wavell, Son & Marshall, Solicitors, Halifax
 

See Bank Top School, Southowram

Highbury School, RastrickRef 18-32

Higher Board School, HalifaxRef 18-168
Prescott Street. A board school opened in 1882.

The average attendance was 303 [1882].

It accommodated 225 boys and 270 girls.

It accommodated around 560 pupils [1894].

It later became Halifax Modern School then Clare Hall Secondary Modern.

See W. Dyche and Charles Edward Thompson

Higher Grade Board School, LightcliffeRef 18-173
A board school recorded in 1905

Highlands SchoolRef 18-H450
Originally the Technical High School.

See Princess Mary High School

Highmoor Lane School, CliftonRef 18-464
Built by Benjamin Walker for the young workers at his coal mines in Clifton. It was known as The Brick School.

In 1852, it opened as a Sunday School.

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

It finally became Highmoor Lane Methodist Chapel, Clifton, T' Colliers' Chapel

Highroad Well Independent SchoolRef 18-907
Opened on 8th August 1861. Designed in Early English style by Matthew Oates & Son. The cost was £776. The land was bought from the Hon. Henry Savile

Hipperholme & Lightcliffe High SchoolRef 18-H3
Stoney Lane, Lightcliffe. Formerly Eastfield School.

It became Lightcliffe Academy / Hipperholme & Lightcliffe High School and Sport College

Hipperholme Grammar Junior SchoolRef 18-743
In 2009, the name of Lightcliffe Preparatory School was changed to Hipperholme Grammar Junior School

Hipperholme Grammar SchoolRef 18-H182
The grammar school was founded on 27th August 1647 by an endowment in the will of Matthew Broadley on land and in farm buildings donated by Samuel Sunderland of Coley Hall. The School opened in 1661.

See Brookfoot Corn Mill, Colonel Robert Howard Goldthorp, Hipperholme Grammar Junior School, Hipperholme Grammar School War Memorial, Hipperholme Grammar School Memorial Gateway, Hipperholme Grammar School Badge, Hipperholme Grammar School Song, Rev Hudson's Academy, Hipperholme, John Moore and Canon George Watkinson

Hipperholme Infants' SchoolRef 18-7
Aka Whitehall Elementary School. The school stood near Hipperholme crossroads. Designed by Horsfall & Williams to serve Hipperholme and Brighouse. The land was donated by John Lister of Shibden Hall. The 163 subscribers – coordinated by Rev V. R. Lennard – included the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company.

The school opened on 16th March 1885. The total cost of the building [£935 7/11d] and the playground and boundary walls was £1,330 19/9d. It was built to accommodate 228 [or 250] scholars and was the smallest school in Calderdale.

It was used for Sunday services, and for meetings and social functions.

Closed in 1989. Demolished in 2000.

The site is now occupied by a housing estate

Hipperholme National SchoolRef 18-309
A national school

Hipperholme Wesleyan Methodist Sunday SchoolRef 18-752
The school was built next door to Hipperholme Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in 1912.

It closed in 19??

See Hipperholme Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School War Memorial

Hoatson's School, HalifaxRef 18-537
Around 1838, Miss Hoatson and the Misses Sugden ran a private school at 35 Rhodes Street, Halifax.

In October 1847, the partnership was dissolved

Hobson's School, HalifaxRef 18-781
Around 1850, Samuel Hobson ran a school at Mount Street, Halifax

Holden's School, HalifaxRef 18-770
R. Holden ran a school at Northgate End, Halifax [1828]

Holder's Academy, HalifaxRef 18-400
Aka West Grove Commercial Academy

Holdsworth's School, HalifaxRef 18-944
Whitegate Road.

Provided by John Holdsworth & Company Limited.

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • George Thornton [1881]
  • Miss E. Standeven [1881]
  • Miss Rhoda Hardcastle [1881]

Holdsworth's School, SouthowramRef 18-570
Around 1870, Mrs Holdsworth ran a private adventure school at Blaithroyd Lane, Southowram.

It is recorded as an infants' school and could accommodate 24 pupils [1871]

Holme House Day Nursery, LightcliffeRef 18-483
Children's nursery school in the grounds of Holme House, Lightcliffe. Opened in 1942.

See Ogden Lane Day Nursery, Rastrick and Wellholme Day Nursery, Brighouse

Holmes's: Misses Holmes's School, HalifaxRef 18-742
The Misses HolmesMartha, Mary Jane, and Alice - ran a ladies' day school at (possibly) 39 Aked's Road, Halifax [1871] and 90 King Cross Street, Halifax [1881, 1887].

In 1891, the ladies were listed as music teachers

Holmfield Board SchoolRef 18-341
A board school recorded in 1887

Holmfield Centenary SchoolRef 18-715
The foundation stone was laid in May 1880

Holmfield High SchoolRef 18-H451
Established in the 1980s when the secondary school of Sunnyside Board School merged with J. H. Whitley School.

See Ridings School

Holmfield Primitive Methodist Sunday SchoolRef 18-960

See Holmfield Primitive Methodist Chapel and Holmfield Primitive Methodist Sunday School Memorial

Holmfield SchoolRef 18-H452
Church of England secondary school. Work on the School began in April 1961. The school opened 1st May 1962 when the pupils from Holy Trinity Senior School moved from Savile Hall which became a mixed junior school.

The Holmfield School became Holy Trinity Secondary Modern School in 1965

Holy Trinity Academy, HalifaxRef 18-H4048

Holy Trinity Boys' Junior School, West ParadeRef 18-H206
The Halifax Courier [21st February 1914] reported that


[Trinity Boys' School] was, with the exception of Heath, the oldest in Halifax
 

The building in West Parade was designed by Horsfall, Wardle & Patchett in 1869/70. It accommodated 172 boys [1871]. It accommodated 300 boys [1917].

The school closed in 1962 and the pupils moved to Savile Hall. The building was demolished in 1966.

In 1966, this became Holy Trinity Junior Boys & Girls School, Halifax.

See Benjamin Booth, Holy Trinity School War Memorial, Holy Trinity Old Boys' Association and Memories of Holy Trinity Schools

Holy Trinity Church of England Infant SchoolRef 18-X114
Swires Road, Halifax. Opened in 19??. The school was badly damaged by fire in February 2003

Holy Trinity Church of England Junior & Infant SchoolRef 18-114
Savile Hall, Savile Park Road, Halifax. Early 19th century building

Holy Trinity Girls' SchoolRef 18-H1
In 1863, Harrison Road Bell School was divided into Holy Trinity Infants' School and Holy Trinity Girls' Junior School (for girls over 7-years old).

In 1966, they moved to Holy Trinity Junior Boys & Girls School, Halifax at Savile Hall

Holy Trinity Infants' School, Harrison RoadRef 18-1
In 1863, Harrison Road Bell School was divided into Holy Trinity Infants' School and Holy Trinity Girls' Junior School.

See Maurice Jagger and Memories of Holy Trinity Schools

Holy Trinity Junior Boys' & Girls' School, HalifaxRef 18-803
In 1966, Savile Hall became Holy Trinity Junior Boys' & Girls' School, superseding Holy Trinity Boys' Junior School, West Parade and Holy Trinity Girls' School

Holy Trinity SchoolsRef 18-H207
There have been several Holy Trinity Church of England Schools in Calderdale.

See Holmfield School, Holy Trinity Boys' School, Holy Trinity Girls' School, Holy Trinity Infants' School, Holy Trinity Secondary Modern School and Holy Trinity Senior School

Holy Trinity Secondary Modern SchoolRef 18-H2
The Holmfield School became Holy Trinity Secondary Modern School in 1965, and became a comprehensive school in 1975. It is now a grant maintained school in the diocese of Wakefield

Holy Trinity Senior SchoolRef 18-80
In 1933, the mixed senior school opened at Savile Hall.

In 1962, it moved to Holmfield when Savile Hall became a mixed junior school.

In 2010, it was replaced by Holy Trinity Academy.

See Rev I. G. Hay

Holy Trinity Voluntary School, HalifaxRef 18-340
Recorded 1904-1971

Holywell Green Primary SchoolRef 18-115

Holywell Green Provided SchoolRef 18-589
Recorded in 1905.

See Herbert Crowther

Holywell Hall CollegeRef 18-657

Hope Street Sunday School, Hebden BridgeRef 18-632
Opened on 7th May 1873.

The Sunday School had a gymnasium.

This later became Hebden Bridge Library

Hopkinson SchoolRef 18-286
Eli Whiteley established a school at Roadside, Rishworth in the late 1800s.

The School was (possibly) named for his wife Bessey Hopkinson [1809-1873]

Horner's Dancing SchoolRef 18-507
Around 1835, John Horner ran a dancing school on Bond Street, Halifax

Horner's Drawing SchoolRef 18-885
In 18??, John Horner had his studio and a small, private drawing school at his home at 6 Bond Street, Halifax

Horton AcademyRef 18-H95
In 1804, it merged with Dr John Fawcett's Academy

Housewifery CentreRef 18-643
Recorded in 1917 at Parkinson Lane.

See Parkinson Lane Board School

Hudson's: Rev Hudson's Academy, HipperholmeRef 18-910

Recorded in 1781, when Mr Martin taught languages here.

Recorded in the 1800s, when Mr Afferetti taught French here.

The School was run by Rev Richard Hudson [1828].

It was possibly an early manifestation of Hipperholme Grammar School


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 08:51 /6th May 2019 / s70_h / 78371

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter