Schools & Sunday Schools

P



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Park Congregational Sunday Schools, HalifaxRef 18-151
The memorial stone was laid by Thomas Wayman on 26th May 1874.

See Park Congregational Church, Halifax

Park Lane High School, ExleyRef 18-212
The name of South Halifax High School from April 2005 when it was rebuilt. It is Calderdale's smallest secondary school

Park Place AcademyRef 18-P441
Aka Farrar's Classical Academy

Parkfield Academy, SoylandRef 18-284
Aka Park Field House School.

Established at Beestonhirst in 1847 by Thomas Lees.

Thomas Wolstenholme is recorded here in 1861 (when the children of Benjamin Throp were here).

After Thomas's death in 1873, his wife Elizabeth ran the school until 1882.

In 1871, there were scholars boarding with the Wolstenholme family:

In 1881, there were scholars boarding with the Wolstenholme family:

  • Mary E. Hulme [b 1868]
  • Annie Evers [b 1867] – (possibly) daughter of Jabez Evers
  • Rollie Dobson [b 1869]
  • Barbara Bates [b 1869]
  • Helena Harrop [b 1869]

The School was subsequently run by

In the early 1900s, it became a private house

Parkinson Lane Board SchoolRef 18-346
Halifax. Designed by Horsfall & Williams. A board school opened in 1890.

It accommodated 361 boys, 361 girls and 358 infants [1911].

It accommodated 361 boys, 361 girls and 397 infants [1917].

See Housewifery Centre and Charles Edward Thompson

Parkinson Lane Community Primary SchoolRef 18-133

Parkinson Lane Evening School, HalifaxRef 18-625
Recorded in 1905

Parkinson Lane Special SchoolRef 18-347
Halifax. A school for children with special needs established in the late 19th century. The school closed in April 1991 and reopened at Bermerside on 22nd April 1911

Parochial Voluntary School, HalifaxRef 18-330
Recorded in 1902

Patchett's Academy, SoylandRef 18-285
In 1822, Misses Patchett opened a school in Soyland. In 1825, they moved to Law Hill School.

It has been suggested that their grandfather, Michael Tillotson, helped set up the school

Patchett's School for Young LadiesRef 18-235
See Law Hill School, Southowram and Patchett's Academy, Soyland

Patmos Congregational School, TodmordenRef 18-814

 
Masters at the School have included:


 

Pellon Baptist SchoolRef 18-929
A stone of the Baptist Chapel wall records
the death of Hannah Marsden Feb. 18, 1809

A stone by the door of the school is inscribed

In memory of Cornelius Ashworth, of Ovenden, who died June 18, 1821, aged 69 years.

He was grandfather of the above Hannah Marsden, and very much esteemed by the relatives of the lovely child who was taken away in her bloom

See Pellon Baptist Church

Pellon Lane Board SchoolRef 18-348
Colin Street / Pellon Lane. The board school opened in 1878.

The average attendance was 754 [1881], and 703 [1882].

It accommodated 253 boys, 282 girls and 251 infants [1911].

It accommodated 253 girls and 461 infants [1917].

The school closed and was demolished in July 1969.

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Samuel Foster [1881]
  • Mary E. Helliwell [1881]
  • Elizabeth E. Blackwell (infants) [1881]

See Shirley Crabtree

Pellon Lane Chapel New SchoolRef 18-417
Opened on 11th August 1859

Pellon Lane Evening School, HalifaxRef 18-626
Recorded in 1905

Pellon Wesleyan SchoolRef 18-972
On 8th July 1893, the foundation stone for Pellon Wesleyan School was laid by Mr G. A. Blackburn.

See Pellon Wesleyan Church

Pentecostal Sunday School, IllingworthRef 18-926

Percival Whitley College of Further EducationRef 18-P43
The original building was built by Benjamin Whitehead Jackson in 1895. Originally the Halifax Technical College on Francis Street, it was renamed in 1956 in memory of Percival Whitley.

On 25th September 1957, Sir John Wolfenden opened the extended building.

It is now a part of Halifax New College.

See Sir Dryden Brook

Petticoat Lane Academy, HalifaxRef 18-841
Academy in Petticoat Lane, Halifax run by Dan Sugden

Petty SchoolRef 18-277
A preparatory for grammar school which admitted petties – young children – who were taught the alphabet and basic reading skills. Some chantries organised such schools

Phillips's School, HalifaxRef 18-553
Around 1870, Mr Phillips ran a private adventure school at New Bank, Halifax.

It is recorded as a girls and mixed school and could accommodate 62 pupils [1871]

Pickering's School, HalifaxRef 18-779
Around 1850, Mrs Elizabeth Pickering ran a school at Back Street, Halifax

Pilter's School, Sowerby BridgeRef 18-707
In 1861, Misses M. I. & M. Pilter ran a ladies' boarding school at Willow Lodge, Sowerby Bridge

Pitt Street Secondary School, Hebden BridgeRef 18-633
Established in 1905, following the Education Act [1902]. It was a temporary measure until 1909, when it was superseded by Hebden Bridge United District Secondary School

Poiré's School, HalifaxRef 18-792
Language school at 5 Bond Street, Halifax, established in 1882 when Anthime Camille Poiré took over Magnier's School

Pond College, LightcliffeRef 18-691
Recorded in 1874, when J. C. Blackburn was there

Popples School, HoldsworthRef 18-P314
In 1816, Elizabeth Wadsworth of Holdsworth House erected a schoolhouse, master's house and other buildings for the education of 30 poor children in and around the hamlet of Holdsworth in the township of Ovenden.

The children were to be taught to read and to study religious knowledge

as inculcated by the Church of England

and the girls were to be taught knitting and plain needlework.

From Easter to Michaelmas, on Good Friday and on Christmas Day, weather permitting, the master was to take the children to Sunday afternoon services in Illingworth Church – or any nearer church which might be erected.

In 1832, Miss Wadsworth gave rents from her property – Lower Knight Royd, Northowram and Upper Knight Royd, Northowram – to the school.

William Sutcliffe was master and his wife was schoolmistress. His son, William Henry Sutcliffe followed him in the position.

Masters at the School included

The school was enlarged in 1861.

In 1887, it was listed as Popples Endowed School at Illingworth Moor.

The school closed in 1895 on the death of William Henry Sutcliffe

Portland Road Board School, ClaremountRef 18-136
Range Bank / Prospect Street. This is a familiar landmark on the northern skyline.

The board school opened in February 1878 on land given by John Lister.

The average attendance was 582 [1881], and 529 [1882].

It accommodated 233 boys, 225 girls and 303 infants [1911].

It accommodated 240 girls and 338 infants [1917].

In 1929, the name was changed to St Joseph's RC School and it replaced the earlier school which had stood south of Godley Bridge since 1873

Masters & teachers at the School have included

See Range Bank Day School, Halifax

Portland Road Evening School, HalifaxRef 18-627
Recorded in 1905

Priestwell Evening Continuation SchoolRef 18-349
Stansfield. Recorded in 1900

Priestwell School, TodmordenRef 18-462
Opened 4th January 1847.

The Infant School opened on 24th October 1874.

In 1913, it was superseded by Castle Hill Primary School

Princess Mary High SchoolRef 18-P128
Popularly known as PM.

The school evolved from the Halifax High School for Girls and was opened by Princess Mary on 21st September 1931. It was the girls' grammar school and was built on the Craven Lodge estate on Francis Street. It accommodated 348 girls.

In 1931, it came under control of the local authority.

In 1985, it merged with Highlands to become North Halifax Grammar School. The last girl-only intake was in 1985. The first mixed intake year was in 1986 and they were based at the Princess Mary building for the first year before moving to Highlands with everyone else in 1987.

The buildings were taken over by the Percival Whitley College. It is now a part of the campus of Halifax New College.

A reading desk and table were carved by Harry Percy Jackson.

It was demolished in June 2013.

See Blue Coat School and Almshouses, Irene L. Forster and D. M. Linsley

Private Venture SchoolRef 18-571
Any of a number of private schools established in the late 19th century. These were run by private individuals, often women, and were held in private houses.

Many local examples are recorded in 1871.

By 1875, they had been reduced to 12 in number, a consequence of the growth of the Board Schools.

They have been referred to as Private Adventure Schools

Proctor's School, SoylandRef 18-289
Flathead. Established by Sarah Proctor in 1848

Prospect Place Academy, BrighouseRef 18-P440
Church Lane.

Aka Lund's Academy & Lundy's Academy.

High-class boarding and day school set up by Dr William Lundy in 1853. The students wore distinctive square hats.

Children educated here included

In 1861, Mr Greenwood moved here from Stocks Hall School, Mytholmroyd.

Samuel Dyer was a teacher here. The pupils wore square hats.

It later became Larkhill Academy

Prospect Place School, BrighouseRef 18-688
The former Fryer's School was listed as Prospect Place School in 1871

Protestant Hall Sunday SchoolRef 18-535

Recorded in the 1900s, when Albert Edward Gomersall was a member.

See Protestant Hall, Halifax

Provided SchoolRef 18-615
The Education Act [1902] defined a provided school as a Board School which funded by the rates. This happened in areas where the number of British Schools and/or National Schools did not meet the local needs. In provided schools, no religious catechism of any particular denomination might be taught, whereas in voluntary schools any religious instruction might be given

Providence Chapel Schools, OvendenRef 18-637
Recorded in 1905 at Club Lane.

See Providence Congregational Church, Ovenden

Provident Independent Sunday School, EllandRef 18-422

See Elland & District Cricket Club

Provident New School, SowerbyRef 18-P286
Built by Horsfall's in 1875

Public SchoolRef 18-P269
A fee-paying school of the 17th / 19th century – such as Eton, Harrow, Winchester – where the sons of rich families studied Latin & Greek.

In 1808, the boys of Harrow staged a revolt against the harsh discipline.

In 1818, there was a riot at Winchester.

See Grammar school

Pye Nest Primitive Methodist Sunday SchoolRef 18-977
A Sunday School is recorded at Pye Nest Primitive Methodist Chapel.

See Pye Nest P. M. Sunday School Memorial


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 08:49 /6th May 2019 / s70_p / 27646

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter