Schools & Sunday Schools



Sabbath SchoolRef 18-490
An alternative name for a Sunday school – used in the 19th century – as in the United Methodist Free Church Sabbath School, Walsden

Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School, Sowerby BridgeRef 18-137
Fore Lane

Saint Andrew's Church of England (Aided) Junior School, BrighouseRef 18-145
The school was built in 18?? on Thornhill Bridge Lane. It was demolished in 19??. A block of flats now stands on the site.

The new school stands on Waterloo Road, Brighouse. It was built in 1971 on the site of the former playing fields at Waterloo, Brighouse

Masters & teachers at the School have included

Saint Andrew's Church of England Infants' SchoolRef 18-146
Lightcliffe Road, Brighouse. Opened in 1892 as a high school. It later became a Higher Grade School.

In the early 1900s, it was known as St Andrew's Girls' School.

It reverted to the present name in 1932.

See St James's School

Saint Andrew's Girls' SchoolRef 18-57
Lightcliffe Road, Brighouse. The name of St Andrew's Church of England Infants' School in the early 1900s

Saint Andrew's SchoolRef 18-20
Thornhill Briggs Lane, Brighouse. Built in 1885. An infants' school was added in 1891. It was extended in 1892, and again in 1897. Formerly Thornhill Briggs School

Saint Andrew's Sunday School, HolmfieldRef 18-820
The Sunday School for St Andrew's Mission Church, Holmfield.

Recorded around 1910

Saint Anne's National SchoolRef 18-198
See Southowram National School

Saint Anne's Sabbath School, SouthowramRef 18-950
The Sunday School for St Anne's in the Grove Church, Southowram.

In the Church Graveyard, there is a headstone [Grave Ref: F-A23]


in memory of

  • Charles Haigh who died 26th June 1862, aged 18 years
  • Jane Haigh who died 10th July 1862, aged 25 years
  • John Haigh who died 28th July 1862, aged 23 years

Question: Does anyone know who these young people were, and how they died so close together? Was it the smallpox epidemic in the district in 1862?


Saint Augustine's Church of England Junior & Infant SchoolRef 18-147
Hanson Lane, Halifax. A mixed and infants' school. Built at a cost of £4,000. Opened on 14th April 1868.

John Halliday was headmaster here [18??] when it was the largest school in Halifax.

It accommodated 428 pupils [1871]. It accommodated 753 pupils [1917].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

See Maurice Jagger and St Augustine's Church

Saint Bernard's Catholic School, HalifaxRef 18-930

Recorded around 1900, when James Brennan was educated here.

See St Bernard's Catholic Church, Halifax

Saint Catherine's Catholic High SchoolRef 18-40
Holdsworth Road, Holmfield. Originally Sir Thomas More Catholic Secondary School, it became known as Halifax Catholic High School [1971], and it was renamed St Catherine's Catholic High School for St Catherine of Siena [2000].

In 2006, and again in 2012, an Ofsted report commented that the school was inadequate.

In August 2013, it is to close and merge with Holy Trinity Academy.

The TV series Ackley Bridge was filmed here

Saint Chad's Church of England Primary SchoolRef 18-148
Hove Edge. It accommodated 195 boys & girls and 75 infants [1917]

Saint Chad's School & Mission ChurchRef 18-119
Hove Edge.

Aka St Chad's Day School.

Built in 1895, it was the first place of worship for the established church to serve the expanding area of Hove Edge which had become a part of the Borough of Brighouse.

The land was given by the owners of the Sunderland Estate.

The corner-stones were laid on 28th April 1894, by a group including

The building was designed by George Hepworth.

The School opened on 5th May 1895.

The cost was £3,000.

On Sundays, it also served as the Mission Church for Hove Edge until 1912 when it was superseded by St Chad's Church, Hove Edge.

It remained largely unchanged until after WW2, and two extensions were built in the next 30 years. A further extension was added in 2004.

It is still used as a primary school.

See Rev Reginald Plumer Stedman

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Nortcliffe

Saint Christopher's School, BrighouseRef 18-180
At the Friends' Meeting House, Huddersfield Road.

Recorded in 1946 & 1959

This & associated entries use material contributed by Peter Lord

Saint George's National School, Sowerby BridgeRef 18-183
Quarry Hill. A national school opened on 13th May 1845 by Rev Thomas Pitts. It could accommodate 350 children.

In 1897, it was described as Mixed, and had an Infants' Department

This was the infant and primary school, and also the Sunday school for St George's Church.

Masters at the School have included:


Samuel Wilkinson was involved in alterations to the School [1900].

It has been converted into apartments.

See Rowland Siddall

This & associated entries use material contributed by Gary McDanielson

Saint George's School, SowerbyRef 18-678
Attached to St George's Church, Sowerby. It accommodated 350 children [1845]

Saint George's Sunday School, Lee MountRef 18-822
The Sunday School for St George's Church

Saint James's Church Sunday School, HalifaxRef 18-901
In February 1839, a subscription was opened for the erection of a Sunday School connected with St James's Church. The chosen site was on Cabbage Lane, adjoining the Oddfellows' Hall, Halifax. The estimated cost of ground and building is about £900

Saint James's Infant School, HalifaxRef 18-664
Pellon Lane. Built in 1839
the result of the pious and zealous labours of the Incumbent of St James's

Saint James's National School, HalifaxRef 18-450
Victoria Street. Erected in 1832. A boys', girls' and infants' school. It could accommodate 310 pupils [1871].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Miss Jane Ann Skelton [1881]
  • Miss Ellen Best (infants) [1881]

In 1886, it was superseded by Akroyd Place School

Saint James's National School, HalifaxRef 18-663
Cross Hills. A national school built in 1845. It could accommodate 216 pupils [1871].

St James's National School is recorded at Cross Hills and also at St James's Road, Halifax [1850, 1881].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Ralph Cross [1850]
  • Miss Ruth Newnham [1850]
  • Smith Jowett [1881]
  • Miss Mary Askroyd [1881]

This & associated entries use material contributed by Anthony Buckless

Saint James's School, BrighouseRef 18-22
Queen Street.

Aka Queen Street School.

The school for St James's Church, Brighouse.

Built at a cost of £1200 – following the 1870 Education Act – to supplement St Martin's National School and to serve east Brighouse. It opened in 1877.

It burnt down on 18th November 1901. Money was raised and the School was rebuilt, and reopened on 30th August 1902. It accommodated 224 boys & girls and 120 infants.

It closed in the 1970s for road improvements.

The pupils moved to St Andrew's Infants' School.

The property was later occupied by a company providing audio-visual and services.

The car park of Tesco's supermarket now stands on the site.

See Brighouse Cricket Club, Brighouse Lads' Club and George Crowther

Saint James's School, HalifaxRef 18-546
Cross Hills. A girls' and infants' school. It could accommodate 350 pupils [1871]. In 1886, it was superseded by Akroyd Place School

Saint James's School, Hebden BridgeRef 18-245
Aka Mytholm School, Hebden Bridge

Saint John's Church of England School, WarleyRef 18-645
Cote Hill. Built in 1872 at a cost of £2,000. It accommodated 259 pupils [1917]

Saint John's Church of England (VA) Primary School, CliftonRef 18-149

See Leonard Goring

Saint John's Church of England (VA) Primary School, RishworthRef 18-150

Saint John's Hall, WarleyRef 18-640
Windle Royd Lane. The Sunday School for St John the Evangelist, Warley. It was used as a day school between 1873 and 1926. There were 96 pupils [1873].

Masters at the School have included:


From 1926, it has been used as a Sunday School.

This & associated entries use material contributed by June Illingworth

Saint John's House School, HalifaxRef 18-934
Boarding school for girls at Trinity Road

Recorded in 1851

Saint John's National School, Cragg ValeRef 18-219
A national school. Built in 1887. It accommodated 350 children.

The school was superseded by Cragg Vale Junior & Infant School

Saint John's National School, HalifaxRef 18-665

Saint John's School, Hebden BridgeRef 18-253

The building was originally St John's Mission Church, Hebden Bridge.

See St John's Church, Stubbing

Saint John's School, RastrickRef 18-195
St John's Street / Gooder Lane. Built by the Rastrick Building Company Limited as a day school and a Sunday school and opened on 1st October 1874.

See St John's Mission Church, Rastrick and St John the Divine, Rastrick

Saint John's Sunday School, Cragg ValeRef 18-3990
Thr Sunday School stands next to the church of St John in the Wilderness, Cragg Vale.

It was built in 18??.

The building was used at the Vicarage until the 1860s, when it was superseded by Woodville

The School closed in 19??.

It is now called St John's Centre and is used as a community centre and a theatre

Saint John the Evangelist Sunday School, West ValeRef 18-66
The Sunday School for St John the Evangelist, West Vale was built just north of the Church on Church Street.

It is still standing [2011] though disused

Saint Joseph's Catholic Primary School, Hove EdgeRef 18-152
Finkil Street. A mixed school was built in 1867. An infants' school was built in 1891.

It accommodated 335 adults [1917].

On 4th September 1961, a new school opened here.

See St Joseph's Catholic Church, Brighouse

Saint Joseph's Catholic Primary School, TodmordenRef 18-153
Ridge Street. Opened on 1st January 1876. It is attached to St Joseph's Catholic Church

Saint Joseph's Catholic School, ClaremountRef 18-S436
The school was built at Godley Bridge, on the site of Bloody Field, and cannon balls, horseshoes, and a sword were found during the building work. It was associated with St Mary's Catholic Church, Halifax.

On 10th August 1872, John Lister – who had provided the site – laid the foundation stone for the school The school was built at a cost of £3,000. Opened 25th November 1873. It accommodated 195 boys, 250 girls and 227 infants [1917].

Around 1895, the Sisters of the Cross & Passion, from the convent in Horley Green, assumed responsibility for the School.

On 22nd July 1913, His Eminence Cardinal Logue visited the School.

In 1929, it was superseded by Portland Road Board School which took the name of St Joseph's.

See Thomas Bernard Mulroy and Poems in Peace & War

Saint Joseph's Catholic School, CobdenRef 18-655
Todmorden. Built in 1868. It accommodated 104 children [1917]

Saint Jude's Sunday School, HalifaxRef 18-943
The Sunday School for St Jude's Church

Saint Luke's Non-Provided Schools, NorlandRef 18-594
Recorded in 1905

Question: Does anyone know whether this and St Luke's School, Norland are the same School?


Saint Luke's School, NorlandRef 18-903
Rev John Ellison was instrumental in the construction of the School. It opened in August 1871 as a Sunday School. It cost £500 to build the School.

It became a day school in 1872.

A stone was laid on 29th October 1894 for extensions to the building.

It was extended in 2003

It became Norland Church of England Junior & Infant School.

See James Joseph Aves and St Luke's Non-Provided Schools, Norland

Saint Malachy's Catholic Primary SchoolRef 18-154
Illingworth. A junior and infant school opened in August 1951

Saint Mark's Sunday School, SiddalRef 18-221
Whitegate Road. Aka St Mark's (Holdsworth) Sunday Schools.

Saint Martin's Church of England Secondary School, BrighouseRef 18-229
[1831-1969]. See Brighouse Adult Education Centre and St Martin's National School

Saint Martin's National School, BrighouseRef 18-81
Church Lane.

Gothic Revival building.

Opened as Brighouse National School in 1835. The cost of the building was £250.

In 1850, there were extensions.

In 1861, there were further extensions to include accommodation for the master. The master's house is now the administrative block.

Other additions were made in 1864 and 1899.

It accommodated 410 boys & girls and 220 infants [1917].

Masters at the School have included:


It became a Church of England Junior and Senior School.

In 1932, there were recommendations that it become a Senior School.

In 1952, it became a controlled school, paid for by the County authority.

The staff recorded in 1957 included

  • Mr Jones (headmaster) 
  • Mr Plows (woodwork teacher) 
  • Mrs Green (English) 
  • Miss Mallinson (history) 
  • Dr Heard (religious studies) 
  • Miss Midgley (maths) 
  • Miss Douglas (biology) 

In 1958, it was known as St Martin's Secondary Modern School.

The school closed in 1969.

In 1972, it became Brighouse Adult Education Centre.

See Mrs Sunderland

This & associated entries use material contributed by Dave Van De Gevel

Saint Martin's Secondary Modern School, BrighouseRef 18-806
Name by which St Martin's National School, Brighouse was known in 1958.

In 1969, this and Victoria School, Rastrick merged to become Eastfield School

Saint Mary's Catholic Primary SchoolRef 18-155
Swires Road, Halifax. Built on the site of Westfield

Saint Mary's Catholic SchoolRef 18-99
Or St Marie's Catholic School.

Clarence Street / Gibbet Street.

Designed by J. F. Walsh.

A boys', girls' and infants' school built in 1846. This had 4 teachers and could accommodate 60 scholars.

It could accommodate 310 pupils [1871].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

See St Mary's Catholic Church

Saint Mary's Church of England School, LuddendenfootRef 18-894
Aka Luddendenfoot National School.

A Church of England National School built in September 1870 at Blackwood Hall.

The cost of construction was £1,971.

It accommodated 238 children [1895].

Church services were held here until the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Luddendenfoot was built.

The School closed about 1993.

The building has been converted to housing

This & associated entries use material contributed by Jonathan Meynell

Saint Mary's Mission School, ShadeRef 18-76
Opened on 1st January 1868. It was the first purpose-built school in the district.

In 1904, it was superseded by Shade Council School but continued as a Sunday School. It was demolished when the area was redeveloped around 1973

Saint Mary's National School, HalifaxRef 18-856
Recorded in 1860, when a grant of £15 was awarded from the Factory Fine Fund, and when the school had 239 children, of whom 181 were employed in factories

Saint Mary's School, CottonstonesRef 18-875
Aka St Mary's School, Mill Bank

Saint Mary's School, LuddendenRef 18-608
See Luddenden School

Saint Mary's School, Mill BankRef 18-156
Aka St Mary's Church of England Junior & Infant School and St Mary's School, Cottonstones.

Originally a National School. Dated 1850.

Masters at the School have included:


See Ann Crabtree's School and St Mary's Church, Cottonstones

Saint Mary's School, Sowerby BridgeRef 18-77

Saint Mary's Schools, HalifaxRef 18-646
Clarence Street.

In 1871, Mrs Michael Stocks, of Upper Shibden Hall, laid the corner stone of new day and Sunday Schools in Lister Lane, Halifax in connection with St Mary's Church.

Michael Stocks gave £1,000 towards the construction of the Schools and the Parsonage

It accommodated 745 pupils, boys, girls and infants [1917]

This & associated entries use material contributed by Cath Dwyer

Saint Mary's Sunday School, IllingworthRef 18-821
The Sunday School for the church of St Mary the Virgin, Illingworth

Saint Matthew's Church School, RastrickRef 18-299
Stood opposite St Matthew's Church. Opened in 1867 in the former St Matthew's Sunday School. It closed in 1912. It was demolished in 1960.

In 197?, Rastrick Parish Centre was built on the site

Saint Matthew's Sunday School, NorthowramRef 18-441
The corner-stone to the Sunday School for St Matthew's Church was laid on 4th January 1936 by Margaret Watkinson

Saint Matthew's Sunday School, RastrickRef 18-612
Built in 1865.

In 1867, St Matthew's Church School, Rastrick opened here.

See Walshaw & Drake Memorial

Saint Michael & All Angels Church of England Primary SchoolRef 18-157

Saint Michael's School, MytholmroydRef 18-802
The cup shown in the accompanying photograph is dated 1878

Recorded on 22nd October 1897, when a new subscription clock, in honour of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, was set in motion by Mrs John Culpan

Saint Patrick's Catholic Primary SchoolRef 18-158
Green Lane, West Vale. Opened in February 1902.

Closed in 19??. The staff and pupils moved to St Patrick's, Hullen Edge.

See St Patrick's Church, West Vale

This & associated entries use material contributed by Stephen Gee

Saint Patrick's Catholic School, Hullen EdgeRef 18-78
In 19??, the staff and pupils moved here from St Patrick's Catholic Primary School, West Vale

This & associated entries use material contributed by Stephen Gee

Saint Paul's School, HalifaxRef 18-544
King Cross. An infants' and junior school. It accommodated 513 pupils [1871].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Robert Roberts [1862]
  • Harry Rickard [1881]
  • Miss Emma Baldwin [1881]
  • Miss Priscilla Brown (infants) [1881]

It became a board school.

It accommodated around 450 pupils [1894]

Saint Paul's Sunday School, King CrossRef 18-828
The Sunday School for St Paul's Church, King Cross. The foundation stone was laid on 3rd October 1925

Saint Paul's Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School, BrighouseRef 18-425
King Street/Lawson Road.

Opened in 1914 to serve St Paul's Methodist Chapel, replacing the earlier School of 1865.

Designed by A. G. Sladdin at an estimated cost of around £4,000.

It was built by Fearnley Brothers on the site of their yard.

In 1938, it was used as Borough Magistrates Court.

From 1949, when the Chapel closed, it was used solely as the Council property.

The Magistrates Court here closed on 30th December 1992.

There were proposals to build a supermarket, but covenants on the building prevented the sale of alcohol.

It was subsequently used by the Salvation Army

Saint Peter's Church of England (VA) Infant School, SowerbyRef 18-159
St Peter's Avenue.

Aka St Peter's School, Sowerby.

The school was built in 1859. It was enlarged later. It accommodated 308 children.

Recorded in 1917.

In Summer 2002, the school merged with Newlands to become Sowerby Village CE (VC) Primary School

Saint Peter's National School, WalsdenRef 18-305
See Walsden Church of England VC Infant School

Saint Peter's School, BrighouseRef 18-S1
A school attached to St Peter's Mission Church opened in March 1878 on land bought from the Calder & Hebble Navigation Company. The name was changed to Brookfoot County Primary School in 1???. It closed in 1974 after it had become unsafe

Saint Peter's School, SowerbyRef 18-649

See St Peter's Church of England (VA) Infant School, Sowerby

Saint Stephen's Sunday School, CopleyRef 18-634
The Sunday School for the Parish Church of St Stephen the Martyr, Copley stood near the mills. It was demolished in 19??. Housing now stands on the site

Saint Thomas's Board School, ClaremountRef 18-946

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Samuel Tweed [1881]
  • Miss Clara Foulds (infants) [1881]

Saint Thomas's Church School, HalifaxRef 18-460
New Bank.

Opened on 7th January 1864. A night school was held for pupils aged 20 and over.

A boys', girls' and infants' school. It accommodated 370 pupils [1871].

It became a board school.

The average attendance was 232 [1881], and 208 [1882]. It accommodated around 450 pupils [1894].

See St Thomas the Apostle, Claremount

Saint Thomas's Sunday School, GreetlandRef 18-826
In 1914, during the incumbency of Rev Flower, a building committee was formed to oversee the building of a Sunday School for St Thomas's Sunday School, Greetland With the outbreak of World War I, there was concern about carrying on the work, but it was decided that as there would probably be a rise in prices, work should go ahead.

On 13th February 1915, the first sod was cut and people cut further sods for a fee of 2/6d for each sod they cut.

On 29th May 1915, a stone laying service was held and people could lay their own stones, paying 1/- for a brick, 2/6d for a wall stone, £1 for a small window cill and £5 for a large cill.

The Sunday School opened on 9th September 1916.

See Leonard Whiteley

Salem Methodist New Connexion Sunday School, HalifaxRef 18-852
The Sunday School for Salem Methodist New Connexion Chapel, North Parade stood just north of the Chapel.

On 21st July 1850, Rev Thomas White Ridley spoke at a fund-raising event for the Sunday School.

The new School was designed by John Dearden.

On 14th September 1857, Frank Crossley laid the foundation stone for the new School. Beneath the stone was a time capsule, a bottle containing

  • Halifax newspapers of the previous Saturday
  • New coins
  • A history of the school from the year 1799 and the names of  those involved in the movement

By 1870, Salem school was so full that a branch church and school in Hanson Lane was started

This & associated entries use material contributed by John Hoyle

Salterhebble Board SchoolRef 18-351
A board school opened in 1905.

It accommodated 268 pupils [1911].

It accommodated 173 boys & girls and 95 infants [1917]

Salterhebble Junior & Infant SchoolRef 18-138
Stafford Square, Halifax.

Stands behind St Andrew's Methodist Church.

Aka Stafford Square School, Halifax

Salterlee Board School, NorthowramRef 18-322
Kell Lane, Shibden.

A board school built in 1898.

It accommodated 230 pupils [1911].

It accommodated 145 boys & girls and 85 infants [1917].

It was transferred from Northowram School Board to Halifax in 1900.

Now known as Salterlee Primary School

See Seth Thorpe Foster and John Henry Sunderland

Salterlee Methodist New Connexion Sunday School, ShibdenRef 18-902
Recorded in August 1869, when
a new Sunday School has been opened at this place, attached to the New Connexion interest in Halifax

Savile College, HalifaxRef 18-762
Manor Drive / Manor Heath Road.

Recorded in 1881 & 1891, when it was at Grandsmere Place, and Miss Mary Roebuck was schoolmistress.

Also at the school were Grace A. Glyde [1856-19??], drawing teacher; Isabella Robertson [1862-19??], English teacher; Gertrude Ballinger [1865-19??], music mistress; Jessie Ramsay [1865-19??] English teacher; Phillipine Feig [1870-19??] teacher of languages.

There were also 11 pupils [aged between 10 and 17], and 3 servants

This & associated entries use material contributed by Roger Beasley & Jeffrey Knowles

Savile Park Primary School, HalifaxRef 18-140
Moorfield Street. Established in 1992 from the former Haugh Shaw School

Savile's School, HalifaxRef 18-568
Around 1870, Mrs Savile ran a private adventure school at Bank Street, Halifax.

It is recorded as an infants' school and could accommodate 10 pupils [1871]

Scaitcliffe County Secondary SchoolRef 18-S363
Todmorden. Opened September 1958 to replace the Secondary Modern School at Roomfield. In 1978, it became Todmorden High School

Scarborough School, StainlandRef 18-223
Beestonley Lane. Providence Congregational Church – which stands opposite – had rented the building for many years mainly as an Institute for the men.

In 1912, the Church bought and renovated the School at a cost of £300. The church created a Primary Department at a further cost of £60. In 1951, the building was sold to Messrs Cartwright for use as a wholesale confectionery warehouse.

It now [2004] appears to be derelict.

This & associated entries use material contributed by Carole Edwards Caruso

Dame SchoolRef 18-272
A 19th century privately-run school for infants and young children, usually taught by women – hence the name. Typically, the children paid 3d or 4d per week to be educated here. The subjects included reading and possibly knitting and sewing, but usually not writing and not arithmetic.

Some local example include Damhead School, Shibden, Dame Gibson's School, Lightcliffe, Greenwood's Dame School, Walsden, Nanny Wood's School, Clifton, Schorfield's Dame School and Warley Dame School

Later, the name was used for any school which taught these subjects

School for Poor Children of All Religious DenominationsRef 18-870
Recorded in 1860

School of Art, HalifaxRef 18-S520
See Halifax School of Art [1859], Halifax School of Art [1903] and Halifax School of Integrated Arts

Schools to housesRef 18-266

Schorfield's Dame SchoolRef 18-951
Around 1817, Samuel Schorfield ran a dame school in his home for the young men of Cold Edge

Scott's AcademyRef 18-398
Aka Southfield Academy. A theological institution. Established by Rev James Scott in 1756 at Heckmondwike.

Those who studied at the Academy included Rev Nathaniel Scholefield, Rev Robert Smith, and Rev William Northend.

When Scott died in 1783, the Academy was transferred to Hesketh's School at Northowram. Rev Samuel Walker was tutor there.

The Academy closed in 1795.

It was later known as the Yorkshire United Independent College, Bradford.

See Rev Robert Hesketh

Scott's Buildings School, HalifaxRef 18-986

Recorded in 1885, when it was proposed to open the School on the top floor of Scott's Buildings, Halifax. Rev Reginald Plumer Stedman objected to the proposal.

The Leeds Times [29th August 1885] reported

A Meddlesome Curate – Queer Place for a School.

The Halifax School Board received a letter from the Education Department stating that they had received a letter from the Rev Reginald Plumer Stedman, a representative of the School Board and the parish church infant school, stating that together these are sufficient and suitable for the infants of the locality. He said that the opening of the proposed school would inflict serious injury on the church infant school and in all probability result in it being closed.

The Chairman, Mr Swallow, said that he had heard a rumour that the parish church people had opened in the last week a school in the Bank. Mr Dickinson confirmed this, stating that the school was in the top storey of Scott's Buildings in Pineberry Hill.

In the bottom storey two horses and seven pigs were kept and the room above was a hayloft.

The letter was referred to the committee


This & associated entries use material contributed by Jeffrey Knowles

Scout Road Board School, MytholmroydRef 18-474
Opened in 1888. Children moved here from Brearley Baptist Church Day School. It accommodated 250 children.

It became Scout Road Primary School

See Mytholmroyd Board School

Scout Road Council School, MytholmroydRef 18-593
Recorded in 1905

Scout Road Primary School, MytholmroydRef 18-141
Originally Scout Road Board School

Seldon's School, Norwood GreenRef 18-690
Around 1874, William Seldon ran a school at Norwood Green

Shade Council SchoolRef 18-58
Opened in 1904. It superseded St Mary's Mission School, Shade.

It accommodated 424 adults [1917].

It became Shade Junior & Infant School.

Shade Junior & Infants' School Baths were on the ground floor.

A pair of shoes – a good-luck charm – was found in the chimney of the caretaker's house at the school.

See Shade Council School Memorial

Shade Junior & Infant School, TodmordenRef 18-142
Formerly Shade Council School

Sharp's Music SchoolRef 18-492
Around 1835, Richard Sharp ran a music school on Ferguson Street, Halifax

Shaw's School, HalifaxRef 18-556
Around 1870, Mr Shaw ran a private adventure school at Woodland Terrace, Halifax.

It is recorded as a boys' and mixed school and could accommodate 88 pupils [1871]

Shelf Board SchoolRef 18-204
Shelf Hall Lane. A board school recorded in 1875.

It is now known as Shelf Junior & Infants' School.

See Titus Barraclough

This & associated entries use material contributed by Ben Stables

Shelf Junior & Infants' SchoolRef 18-143
Shelf Hall Lane. Originally Shelf Board School

This & associated entries use material contributed by Ben Stables

Shelf National SchoolRef 18-461
The National School was built on a site which had been given by Michael Stocks. The foundation stone was laid on 2nd July 1864 by Moses Bottomley of Shelf. Estimated cost of the construction was £1300

Shelf SchoolRef 18-S477
Aka School for Children of all Religious Persuasions Built by the British & Foreign School Society in 1816

Shibden Industrial SchoolRef 18-S375
Shibden Hall Road / Halifax Old Road.

See Little Ireland Farm, Southowram and Poems in Peace & War

This & associated entries use material contributed by Jeffrey Knowles, David Nortcliffe & Toby Wynn

Shibden National SchoolRef 18-271
In 1857, the Listers of Shibden Hall established a National School at Dove House, Shibden

Shields's: Mrs Shields's SchoolRef 18-494
Hainsworth's Buildings, Cabbage Lane, Halifax. On Monday 23rd January 1837, Mrs Shields opened a day-school

for a limited number of Young Ladies

This & associated entries use material contributed by Alan Longbottom

Shore Baptist Sunday School, TodmordenRef 18-992
Rev John Midgley established a Sunday School around 1820, soon after becoming pastor at Shore General Baptist Chapel, Todmorden.

The School was a 3-story building attached to the Chapel wall.

The Minister lived in part of the School until the Manse was built in 1911.

Boys attended in the morning and girls in the afternoon.

When the Chapel closed in the 1960s, services were held in the School building

See Shore Baptist Roll of Honour

Siddal Board SchoolRef 18-126
Cinderhills. The board school was built following a public campaign. It opened on 12th July 1875.

The average attendance was 277 [1881], and 248 [1882].

It was enlarged around 1894.

It accommodated 465 boys & girls and 233 infants [1911].

It accommodated 465 boys & girls and 256 infants [1917].

It later became known as Siddal Junior School.

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • John Edward Brooks [1881]
  • Miss Sarah E. Shaw (infants) [1881]

See Siddal Council School Memorial, Siddal School and Southowram Bank Board School

Siddal Evening SchoolRef 18-629
Recorded in 1905

Siddal Junior SchoolRef 18-210
Formerly Siddal Board School.

Contributor Lorraine Kirk writes

there is a mirror – in what used to be the old infants' section – with a note which states that the female students had to check the length of their skirts before entering the class room

The school closed in 2005/2006 and was demolished. Housing was built on the site.

A new Siddal Primary School was built on Backhold Lane, Siddal.

This & associated entries use material contributed by Bill Harley & Lorraine Kirk

Siddal Primary SchoolRef 18-144
Backhold Lane. A new school was in ???? to replace the old Siddal Junior School

Siddal SchoolRef 18-S70
In the 1860s, a school began at Whitegate, sponsored by John Holdsworth & Company, and set up primarily for the firm's own employees.

It was suggested that this be used instead of a Board School under the 1870 Education Act, but the fact that Holdsworth insisted on running the school along Conservative Anglican lines upset the Liberal Nonconformists of the district.

Following a public campaign, Siddal Board School was built at Cinderhills.

See George W. Stead

Siddal Wesleyan Methodist Sunday SchoolRef 18-963
Methodist classes were recorded in 1827.

Siddal Wesleyan Methodist Church opened in 1877

They held a jubilee on 5th October 1912

Sion Branch Congregational Sunday School, Bank TopRef 18-432

From 1813, there was an independent Sunday school at Marsh Delves

organised by "a few poor men"

This later moved to Marsh Lane – possibly at Bankfield Farm – and about 1845 became associated with Sion Congregational Church.

On Sunday, 24th November 1861

a new school-room in Southowram, intended for the accommodation of the branch of Sion Sunday School, Halifax, established in this village many years ago, was opened.

The buildings and fittings cost about £400, towards which £230 has been subscribed by the residents of the district and friends at Halifax

The exact location of the 1861 building is unknown.

From that time, divine service was regularly conducted there on Sundays.

A new building opened in 1888. The foundation stone was laid on 30th March 1888 by William Rawson Shaw on behalf of his mother.

The design suggests that the architect was Roger Flather Rogerson.

Closed in the 1970s.

It is now private housing.

See Sion Branch Congregational Sunday School, Bank Top War Memorial

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Nortcliffe

Sion Day School, HalifaxRef 18-403
Wade Street.

Aka Syon School, Halifax.

Opened on 13th January 1846.

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • James Littlewood [1881]
  • Miss J. S. Kemp [1881]
  • Miss E. Jenkinson (infants) [1881]

See Sion Sunday School, Halifax

Sion Sunday School, HalifaxRef 18-430
Italianate building.

Also Syon School.

Built for Sion Congregational Church, Wade Street in 1846.

A Jubilee Memorial Hall was added in 1866.

In 1984, the building was dismantled and rebuilt with the frontage incorporated into the new Halifax Bus Station, despite opposition from transport unions who feared that it would be used as a mess for bus drivers.

See Sion Branch Congregational Sunday School, Bank Top and Sion Day School, Halifax

Sixth Form College, BrighouseRef 18-942
This evolved from the former Brighouse Girls' Grammar School

Slack Baptist Sunday School, HeptonstallRef 18-206
The Sunday School for Mount Zion Baptist Church was built by subscription.

It opened on 2nd January 1864 at a cost of £670.

See John William Greenwood and Slack Baptist Sunday School Memorial

Slade School of ArtRef 18-S250
Opened at the Dean Clough Galleries in 1988

Slater Bank Boarding SchoolRef 18-877
Private boarding school at Slater Bank, Hebden Bridge [1851].

The staff [1851] included George Haigh Moss [headmaster] and his siblings

This & associated entries use material contributed by Derrick Habergham & Antony Shepherd

Smith's factory school, WarleyRef 18-367
In the 1830s, S. & W. Smith established a factory school for the workers at their worsted mill in Warley. It accommodated 68 boys and 57 girls

Smith's School, Hebden BridgeRef 18-981
The Buttress.

Recorded in the 1850s, when Samuel Fielding attended

Smith's School, Mill BankRef 18-932
In the late 19th century, William Smith had a school at the top end of Deerplay, Mill Bank.

He left and the school was held in the old chapel at Mill Bank

Question: Does anyone know to which Chapel the School moved ... and when?


Smyth's Charity SchoolRef 18-S579
King Street, Halifax. Charity School founded by John Smyth by his will of 1726. This was the earliest charity school in the district. He devised this to the Waterhouse Charity
to teach 6 boys or girls to read

He provided £4 per year to be paid to a schoolmaster, the appointment of which was to be approved by his son John. The funds came from the rent from a house in Ann Street.

The school fell into disrepair and was rebuilt in 1821.

It accommodated 25 scholars [1845].

In 1874, the school closed – the teacher Thomas Firth was given £50 – and the premises were sold.

The building was demolished when Hodgson's Fold was pulled down in the 1930s.

See Thomas Greenwood

Socialist Sunday SchoolsRef 18-712
19th century institutions which modelled themselves on regular Sunday Schools but which adhered to socialist principles, sang socialist songs and had 10 socialist Commandments.

See Halifax Socialist Sunday School

South End Board School, EllandRef 18-381
Huddersfield Road.

Stood east of Elland Town Hall.

Opened on 7th January 1878. It accommodated 270 boys, 270 girls and 274 infants [1917].

It closed in the 1980s.

A supermarket – which used the date stone and some of the masonry from the school – stands on the site and was built in the 1980s

South Halifax High School, ExleyRef 18-59
The name of Exley High School from 1992.

From April 2005, it will be known as Park Lane High School

South Parade New SchoolsRef 18-404

Southowram Bank Board SchoolRef 18-575
Board School at Southowram Bank.

Building dated 1874. A lintel on the building is inscribed

Free Church

In the 1891 census, 79 Southowram Bank is described as

School. Part of Sunday School is used as a Board School and as a United Methodist Free Chapel, Southowram Bank. The occupant at that time was David Richard Smith, a dyer's labourer

In 1894, there were 113 infants attending [average attendance 84], although it had accommodation for around 200 pupils.

After 1894, Siddal Board School was enlarged and a site for Caddy Field Board School acquired, so that Whitegate Board School and Southowram Bank Board School could be vacated

In 1921, maps show the building as a Sunday School.

The building still stands on the east side near the bottom of the hill. It now seems to be used as a workshop / storage building.

See David Richard Smith

This & associated entries use material contributed by Jeffrey Knowles & Darrell Prest

Southowram National SchoolRef 18-N130
Aka St Anne's National School. A national school built in 1839. The building still stands opposite St Anne's in the Grove church. The first master was George Darley Cosbey.

In 1875, the managers offered to let the school to the school board, but this was turned down and Withinfields School and Cromwell Bottom School were built instead.

The Annexe to St Anne's Graveyard is next to the School.

This & associated entries use material contributed by Elaine Hodkinson

Sowerby Bridge & District Secondary (Dual) SchoolRef 18-650
Albert Road. Built in 1910 at a cost of £14,000. It was controlled by a body of 21 governors. It accommodated 230 pupils.

It served the townships of Sowerby Bridge, Barkisland, Luddendenfoot, Midgley, Norland, Rishworth, Sowerby, and Soyland

Sowerby Bridge Board SchoolRef 18-352
A board school recorded in 1902.

See Sowerby Bridge School Board, Benjamin Sutcliffe and Tuel Lane Board School

Sowerby Bridge Evening Continuation SchoolsRef 18-915
Recorded in 1896, when the Committee included Rev George Samuel Smith, Rev Canon Charles Llewellyn Ivens, Rev Samuel Field Laycock, Oliver Eatough, William Noble, John William Whiteley, J. W. Bancroft, George Wray, John Holmes, and Nimrod Howarth

Sowerby Bridge Girls' County Secondary SchoolRef 18-207

Sowerby Bridge Grammar SchoolRef 18-379
Formerly Sowerby Bridge Secondary School.

Pupils at the school have included Roger Hargreaves

This & associated entries use material contributed by Dave Paterson

Sowerby Bridge High SchoolRef 18-60

See Sowerby Bridge Secondary School

Sowerby Bridge National SchoolRef 18-15
Tuel Lane. A national school built to supersede The Croft School, Sowerby Bridge. It stood on land bought from Mr Greenup. It opened on 12th March 1837. It accommodated 224 boys and 266 girls.

The trustees for the new school included George Bates, Thomas Milne, Charles Norris, Thomas Pollit, and Rev Charles Rogers.

The school took children from several local mills, including James Walton's mill at Asquith Bottom, Sowerby Bridge.

Around 1840, an exhibition was held here on behalf of the Mechanics' Institute, at which J. B. Leyland showed a bust of an African bloodhound and his Lady of Kirklees.

In 1893, it was superseded by the Ellison Memorial Junior School, Sowerby Bridge.

See Edward Ernest Pollit

Sowerby Bridge Secondary SchoolRef 18-378
Recorded in 1905 at Town Hall Chambers, Wharf Street [1905].

The school opened on 7th May 1910. Designed by Longbottom & Culpan and built at a cost of £14,000. It accommodated 80 boys and 120 girls.

It subsequently became Sowerby Bridge Grammar School and then Sowerby Bridge High School.

In 200?, it was demolished and a new school built

Sowerby Bridge Technical SchoolRef 18-651
Albert Road.

Recorded in 1904 & 1917.

See William Easterby

Sowerby District National SchoolRef 18-376
Back Lane.

A national school opened on 30th November 1859 to supersede Sowerby National School.

Levi Haigh wrote a poem entitled Sowerby's retiring schoolmaster when Jonathan Turner Naylor retired.

See Rev Alexander Bean and Jonathan Turner Naylor

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Cant

Sowerby Endowed SchoolRef 18-920
See William Law

Sowerby Free SchoolRef 18-921
See James Walker

Sowerby Grammar SchoolRef 18-641
Opened on 4th October 1875.

After Sowerby Old Chapel was destroyed by fire [1876], Church services were held here until the new Rooley Lane Wesleyan Chapel opened.

Closed at Christmas 1904.

See Paul Bairstow's Endowed School

Sowerby Methodist Sunday SchoolRef 18-408
A Sunday School at Sowerby was founded in 1805.

The Committee [January 1807] included

  • John Haigh Snr (President 1807-1820) 
  • John Firth (Treasurer) 
  • William Crossley (Steward) 
  • Abram Barraclough
  • Thomas Bedford
  • William Crowther
  • James Haigh Jnr
  • David Heap
  • William Jennings
  • Thomas Whiteley
  • John Wood

The first sermon was preached at the School on 4th October 1807. Classes were held in the Old Sowerby Chapel. In addition to the scriptures, the pupils were also taught reading & writing.

Other people involved in the School's early history included

The School had a library which was kept in an adjacent cottage.

The Sunday School and the Chapel were destroyed by fire in 11th March 1876.

A new Sunday School – and Rooley Lane Wesleyan Chapel – were built in 1877, after the Old Chapel was destroyed by fire

This & associated entries use material contributed by Maggie Berry & Ian Wright

Sowerby National SchoolRef 18-49
Back Lane.

A national school opened in 1833.

It was supported by Rev Joseph Ogden.

In 1859, it was superseded by Triangle Infants' School and Sowerby District National School.

In 1866, scholars from Paul Bairstow's Endowed School were sent here when that school closed for a time.

Masters at the School have included:


See Jonas Dewhirst

Sowerby New Road Provided SchoolRef 18-261
Built in 1900. It accommodated 450 adults

Sowerby Village Church of England (VC) Primary SchoolRef 18-218

In Summer 2002, St Peter's Church of England (VA) Infant School, Sowerby and Newlands Junior School merged to become Sowerby Village Church of England (VC) Primary School

Sowood Green Provided School, StainlandRef 18-324
Built in 1878. It is now Sowood Community Centre.

See Arthur Stephenson

Sowood Green School, StainlandRef 18-202

Soyland U. D. (Ripponden) Wesley SchoolRef 18-596
Recorded in 1905

Spencer's School, EllandRef 18-669
Around 1845, Ann Spencer ran a ladies' boarding school at Hullen Edge

Spencer's School, PellonRef 18-965
In 1851, Ann Spencer was mistress (and sole teacher) of a boarding school at 3 Long Lover Lane, Pellon.

At that time, the scholars included

  • Emma Bancroft [b 1842] (from Halifax) 
  • Jane Bottomley [b 1840] (Halifax) 
  • Elizabeth Briar [b 1841] (Northowram) 
  • Martha Carr? [b 1844] (Halifax) 
  • Hannah Jessop [b 1842] (Dewsbury) 
  • Mary Elisa Jessop [b 1839] (Dewsbury) 
  • Mary Taylor [b 1843] (Ovenden) 
  • Sarah Thompson [b 1835] (Liverpool) 
  • John Walton [b 1845] (Ovenden) 
  • Emma Jane Webster [b 1842] (Ovenden) 
  • Grace Whaley [b 1835] (Haworth) 
  • Hannah Whiteley [b 1842] (Stainland) 
  • Martha Whiteley [b 1843] (Stainland) 

Spring Garden School, WarleyRef 18-S317
The original name of the school which became Warley Grammar School.

See Spring Gardens Academy, Warley and Spring Gardens, Sowerby Bridge

Spring Gardens Academy, WarleyRef 18-680
The school was run by:

In 1845, it was recorded that

5 boys are taught free at the school

See Spring Gardens School and Spring Gardens, Sowerby Bridge

This & associated entries use material contributed by Bernard Begley

Springfield School for Young LadiesRef 18-994
A boarding & day school was advertised at Victoria Road, Elland in 1891.

They offered private lessons in Music, Singing, Dancing, Painting & French

Square Chapel Day School, HalifaxRef 18-662
Blackledge / Square Road. Built behind the Square Chapel. Opened in 1844. It accommodated 340 children and the average attendance was about 120 [1845].

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Miss Harriet Bates [1881]

See Square Chapel Sunday School, Halifax

Square Fold School, Bailiff BridgeRef 18-456

Square Sunday SchoolRef 18-426
Sunday school established in 1804 for Square Independent Chapel.

See Saul Blagborough

Stafford Square School, HalifaxRef 18-964

Stainland & Holywell Green United Reformed SchoolRef 18-954
206 Stainland Road.

In 1852, John Crossley built a day school at a cost of £1,600.

The building is of Jacobean design.

In 1857, a Sunday School began in the building.

In 1862, John Shaw & Sons bought the buildings from Crossley for the Stainland United Reformed movement.

It was enlarged and converted to a chapel in December 1866. The first service was conducted on 11th May 1867.

In April 1872, a new church was planned by the Shaw family for their model village. Stainland & Holywell Green United Reformed Church opened in April 1874

The church closed in 197?. Demolished in October 1978.

Services are now conducted in the former School

This & associated entries use material contributed by Carole Edwards Caruso

Stainland Board SchoolRef 18-635

See John Widdison

Stainland British SchoolRef 18-S634
Recorded as being near Messrs Shaw's Mill

Stannary School, HalifaxRef 18-941
Recorded in 1915, when the name of Osmund Appleyard was added to the Roll of Honour at the School.

Question: Does anyone know anything about the School?

Could it be a popular name for Akroyd Place School, or the Sunday School for Stannary Congregational Church?


See Stannary School Memorial

Stanningley Green School, OvendenRef 18-323
Plans were presented in 1951.

A junior school opened in August 1953.

It later became part of Ash Green Junior & Infants School

Stansfield's School, MixendenRef 18-536
Around 1838, James Stansfield ran a private school at Mixenden

Starkey's: Miss Starkey's School, HalifaxRef 18-905
Recorded in the 1950s

Stead's Academy, HalifaxRef 18-540
Around 1841, W. Stead ran a classical, mathematical and commercial academy at Bedford Street, Halifax

Stead's: Jeremiah Stead's SchoolRef 18-270
Private day school – known as Jerry's School – established at Ovenden Sunday School by Jeremiah Stead around 1818. On his death, William Parker took over as schoolmaster. In 1873, Albert Shackleton took over

Steel's School, EllandRef 18-695
In 1861, Mrs Mary Ellen Steel ran a boarding school in Elland

Steele's School, EllandRef 18-670
Around 1845, Mary Ellen Steele ran a ladies' boarding school in Elland

Stile Open Air School, StansfieldRef 18-321
Recorded in 1936

Stile Secondary School, TodmordenRef 18-652
Established in 1893 as an organised science school.

A new school was officially opened on 30th March 1912. It accommodated 133 pupils [1917]

Stocks Hall Academy, MytholmroydRef 18-844
Recorded in 1860, when T. Greenwood left to become Principal of Prospect Place Academy, Brighouse

This & associated entries use material contributed by Jeffrey Knowles

Stocks's School, HalifaxRef 18-558
Around 1870, Mrs Stocks ran a private adventure school at Woodland Terrace, Halifax.

It is recorded as an infants' school and could accommodate 22 pupils [1871]

Stone Chair Boys' Day SchoolRef 18-716

This & associated entries use material contributed by Ben Stables

Stones Wesleyan Chapel School, RippondenRef 18-287
Peter Gledhill held a school in his house under Stones Methodist Church, Ripponden [between 1819-1854].

An evening school opened in January 1871.

The school was rebuilt as Stones Wesleyan Day School in 1885

Stones Wesleyan Day School, RippondenRef 18-898
In 1885, Stones Wesleyan Chapel School was rebuilt on land bought from Joseph Whiteley.

The School closed in 1980

Storer's School, HalifaxRef 18-524
Around 1835, Hannah Storer ran a private school at 5 Carlton Street, Halifax

Stubbings Board School, Hebden BridgeRef 18-S92
School Street.

In February 1878, this was the first school to be built in Hebden Bridge within the Education Act [1870].

It was originally known as Hebden Bridge Board School. It accommodated 380 children.

In 1884, when the Central School opened, it was known as Stubbings School.

Now Stubbings Nursery & Infants' School / Stubbings Junior & Infants' School.

See Miss Lottie Eastwood

Sunday Schools [General Notes]Ref 18-185
The Sunday School Movement began about 1782 when Robert Raikes established classes on Saturdays and Sundays for children of the poor who worked during the week.

Around 1771, there had been Sunday Schools at Mixenden, Warley, and the Cockpit at Illingworth – see Benjamin Patchett

20 Sunday Schools were established in Halifax from around 1792. Each school was to comprise a master and not more than 30 scholars.

From 1804, most Sunday Schools were associated with a specific church.

See Health & Morals of Apprentices in Cotton Mills Act [1802], Sabbath School, Socialist Sunday Schools, Square Sunday School and James Waddington and the SideTrack on Schools for individual Sunday Schools

Sunnyside Board SchoolRef 18-S384
At Sunnyside, Range Lane, Halifax.

Formally opened on 16th September 1901 by Thomas Butterworth for the Halifax School Board. Built at a cost of £19,229 13s 4d.

It accommodated 700 boys & girls and 308 infants [1911].

It accommodated 700 boys & girls and 303 infants [1917].

The Sunnyside School Baths opened in 1931.

It became a primary and a secondary school in 19??.

The primary department moved to the Rawson Junior & Infant School. In 1986, the secondary school merged with J. H. Whitley School, Holmfield.

The buildings were demolished in 1989. Houses were built on the site.

See Sunnyside Board School Memorial

Sutcliffe Brothers' Factory SchoolRef 18-368
In the 1830s, Sutcliffe Brothers established a factory school in their cotton mill at Lower Willow Hall.

It accommodated 18 boys and 21 girls.

The master carried out office work in addition to his teaching duties

Sutcliffe's School, SalterhebbleRef 18-769
In 1828, Abraham Sutcliffe ran a school at Salterhebble

Swales's Private SchoolRef 18-11
A private classical and commercial boarding school for young gentlemen established by Thomas Steele Swale at 3 Blackwall, Halifax. Recorded in 1817 & 1836.

A charity school is also recorded with the same name

Swallow's Day SchoolRef 18-756
Fanny, Harriete Blanche, and Alice Jane - the daughters of John Swallow – ran a day school at 46 Prescott Street, Halifax.

In 1881, it was listed with Fanny as Principal, and her sisters, along with Governess Elise Hecommbier [1854-1???] from Elbing, Prussia, and 1 domestic servant.

See Swallow Ladies Academy

This & associated entries use material contributed by Derrick Habergham & Jeffrey Knowles

Swallow Ladies AcademyRef 18-935
In 1871, Mary, the wife of John Swallow, was running a Ladies Academy at 8 Trinity Place.

See Swallow's Day School

This & associated entries use material contributed by Derrick Habergham

Syon School, HalifaxRef 18-953

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 16:43 / 17th May 2024 / 110290

Page Ref: S70_S

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind