Saint John the Evangelist, West Vale

Church services were held at Elland Public Hall and West Vale Mechanics' Hall until it was realised that West Vale needed its own church.

The Church was founded by Rev John Marshall, Vicar of Greetland.

It was a daughter Church of St Thomas's Church, Greetland.

The Church was designed by Thomas Henry Rushforth.

It was built by subscription:

The foundation stone was laid on 16th October 1880 by John Baldwin of Clay House, one of the principal benefactors. The Church opened on 26th September 1882 and was built at a cost of £10,000.

By 1886, it became a separate benefice from Greetland.

The Sunday School was built just north of the Church on Church Street.

The Vicarage was built opposite the Church on Calder Street.

In March 1886, it was recorded that

[On the Church,] there is a copper vane in the form of a cockerel. This bird measures 2 ft 6 ins from beak to tail, though it looks more than a bright speck upon the ground, and the standard or rod on which [it] is placed, with its double cross and cardinal points, weigh about 12 cwt, and measures about 15 ins in height

On 9th September 1900, a chancel screen by Thomason & Company of Manchester and Birmingham, was dedicated in memory of Bishop Walsham How.

On 14th September 1907, a new clock – the gift of the widow and children of Rev John Marshall – and bell – the gift of the parishioners – were dedicated.

In February 1950, the war memorial window was dedicated.

Incumbents and Curates at the Church have included


In July 1973, the parishes of Greetland and West Vale merged, and the Vicar served both churches.

The church was last used for worship on the 27 June 1982, its centenary year.

The Church was declared redundant and was bought by Sam Rourke.

The Church furnishings – including the choirs stalls, the churchwardens' pew, the brass lectern, the memorial book of the two World Wars, and the churchwarden staves - were taken to St Thomas's Church, Greetland.

The building has been converted into offices.

The records for the Church are held at the West Yorkshire Archive Service office in Wakefield (Collection WDP117): Baptisms [1882-1981], Banns [1915-1981] and Marriages [1882-1971].

See David Fox, Madame Anne Fox, St John the Evangelist Memorial and John Graham Wheelwright

© Malcolm Bull 2021
Revised 13:03 / 24th May 2021 / 7118

Page Ref: WW_3

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind