Sowerby Old Chapel / Cross Stone Wesleyan Chapel

When the Methodist meeting place in Luke Farrar's cottage at Carr, Sowerby became too small, a new Chapel was erected [1787] at a cost of £420.

John Wesley may have preached at the Chapel when he visited Sowerby in 1790.

John Farrar preached here.

Members of the Sowerby group & founders of the Chapel included

The list of those who subsequently preached here included

A Sunday School was founded in 1805.

The Chapel was extended

In 1876, a group of members of the temperance movement who were unable to hold their Band of Hope here left to form their own congregation at the Providence Primitive Methodist Chapel, Sowerby.

The building was destroyed by fire on 11th March 1876

Rooley Lane Wesleyan Chapel & Sunday School were built on the same site and opened in 1877

See Sowerby Methodism

© Malcolm Bull 2022
Revised 09:19 / 24th August 2022 / 3847

Page Ref: X384

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind