Victoria Mills. Brighouse



Victoria Mills stood at the junction of Mill Lane and Huddersfield Road in Brighouse.

It was a silk mill built by James and Henry Noble.

The Leeds Mercury [30th June 1838], reporting on activities around Yorkshire to celebrate Queen Victoria's coronation and in Brighouse, wrote


The masters occupying the new mill, lately erected by Messrs. Noble gave their men a dinner and, in the afternoon, tea to the women and children, at which time the mill was named Victoria
 

Thomas Blackburn moved here [1830s].

Rev Benjamin Firth rented the mill in 1842 and bought it later. The mill was attacked during the Plug Riots of August 1842.

Robert Newton worked here until 1848, when he moved to Leeds.

The mill was bought by Samuel Baines in 1849.

In 1850, Baines rented the premises to Burrow & Monk for silk spinning.

In 1855, the workers at the mills – the Victoria Mills Fire Brigade – manned Neptune, the first fire-engine in the town.

In 1864, Richard Kershaw bought the silk business from Burrow & Monk and set up as a silk spinner here.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The Brighouse Gas Works were on the site until 1857?.

The mill was flooded on 20th July 1872.

From 1903, it was used as the Brighouse Lads' Club.

There were fires at the mills on 21st April 1896, and on 27th July 1905, - see Henry Barber fire engine – and part of the mill was destroyed in 1959.

The lower section of the mill continued in use until it demolished to make way for Sainsburys supermarket which now occupies the site




© Malcolm Bull 2023
Revised 12:09 / 7th October 2023 / 6260

Page Ref: Y23

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind