Todmorden Hall – aka Todmorden Old Hall – is situated on Hall Street, Todmorden.
In 1293, a house is recorded here belonging to the De la Deane or De la Dene family. At that time, John, son of William de la Dene, granted all his lands in Todmorden to Alice, daughter of William de Radcliffe .
A timber-framed house was built by the Savile family in the 16th century. It was later owned by the Radcliffe family.
In 1602, Saville Radcliffe inherited the hall from his grandfather, Charles Radcliffe. The hall was rebuilt and the west wing cased in stone around 1603. A mantelpiece is dated 1603, and a lintel with a coat of arms is inscribed SR for Saville Radcliffe.
The east wing has an oak panelled room with a carved overmantle with the initials of Saville Radcliffe and his wife, Kathleen Hyde.
There is a secret chamber over the central corridor.
In 1717, the estate was bought by John Fielden, great-uncle of Joshua Fielden. John and his wife Tamar lived and ran his cloth business from the hall.
In 1743, the central hall was divided into smaller rooms.
In 1795, Anthony Crossley bought the estate.
Dr James Joseph Hague Taylor who married Anne, daughter of Anthony Crossley is recorded there .
From around 1828, it was the home of their son James Taylor.
His son, Dr Herbert Coupland Taylor, lived here for 9 years.
In 1838, it was damaged by a mob from Mankinholes who were protesting against the Poor Law Amendment Act .
Subsequent owners and tenants have included
In 1936, the main fireplace was discovered.
The building is now a restaurant.
This is discussed in the books Ancient Halls in & about Halifax and The Old Halls & Manor Houses of Yorkshire
Page Ref: KK_155
|site search by freefind|