Mills & Mines

A



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Acre Mill, Old TownRef 15-A116
Built in 1859 by James Hoyle of Ibbotroyd.

From 1859, this was a woollen mill owned by the Hoyle family.

In June 1868, a large part of the floor of a storage room fell through, 40 tons of goods and materials falling on to the rooms below.

In 1907 it was a cotton mill.

In 1918, it was taken over by a Lancashire company.

In 1921, the mill was bought by the Dunlop Rubber Company Limited. They moved to Rochdale in 1932.

The mill was disused until 1939, when it was taken over by Cape Insulation Limited, asbestos processors. In 1970, Cape moved to Westmorland.

The building was badly damaged by fire on 17th February 1976.

Because of dereliction and the health problems posed by asbestos, the mill was sealed off and demolished in 1979.

The Automobilia Transport Museum was established in the former mill canteen.

The site has been landscaped.

In March 2010, permission to built a house on the land was refused.

See Acre Mill Memorial

Adamroyd Mill, TodmordenRef 15-68


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In May 2009, planning permission was granted to demolish the mill and build homes on the site. In March 2009, the demolition men were in action on the site

See Adamroyd, Todmorden

Adelaide Works, GreetlandRef 15-718


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Aincar Mine, QueensburyRef 15-1271

Ainley Grange Mine, EllandRef 15-1294

Ainley Main CollieryRef 15-A17
Aka Ainley Top Colliery. 309 ft deep coal mine at Elland. Opened in 18??.

Closed in 19??.

There was a fatal explosion here On 30th May 1833, and a fire in 1842

Ainley Mine, EllandRef 15-1325
Owners and tenants have included

Ainley Top PotteryRef 15-A21
Started by Joseph Kitson in 1826

The Ainleys Fireclay WorksRef 15-968


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Aitken Flat Mine, EllandRef 15-1297

Aked's Mill, HalifaxRef 15-838
Pellon Lane.

(Possibly) built by Josiah Aked [around 1860].


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Akroyd's Aerated Water Works, HalifaxRef 15-1151
Owners and tenants have included

See F. Crossley

Albany Spindle Works, PellonRef 15-507
Long Lover Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Albany Works, HalifaxRef 15-A367
Winding Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Albany House, Halifax

Albert Boiler Works, GauxholmeRef 15-1026

Around 1875, Gauxholme Picker Works were built on the site.

See Abraham Crossley

Albert Brewery, HalifaxRef 15-A215
Sutcliffe Street, New Pellon.


Owners and tenants have included

 

Closed after World War I

Albert Cigar Factory, HalifaxRef 15-565
West Parade. Tobacconist and cigar manufacturer established by William Hutchinson. He employed 6 men, 15 boys, 10 women and 1 youth [1881]. Recorded in 1905.

The business was at 22 Southgate, Halifax [1943] when they advertised their

Pyramid mixture

Albert Foundry, HalifaxRef 15-581
Albert Road, Pellon.

Aka Albert Boiler Works.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

In 1911, Hartley & Sugden were served with a notice to abate the nuisance arising from the discharge of black smoke from the chimney at the works

Albert Iron Works, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-970


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Albert Mill, HalifaxRef 15-1434
Cavalry Field.

In 1861, it was described as a 5-storey mill (12 windows in length)  a shed (housing a 40 HP boiler)  and a 2-storey building (9 windows in length).

Owners and tenants have included

On 7th January 1861, there was a boiler explosion at the Mill

Albert Mill, Hebden BridgeRef 15-598
It was destroyed by fire on 27th February 1879.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Albert Mill, RastrickRef 15-546
Cotton mill. Built in 1862. It was occupied by Whitely, Garsed & Company when it was destroyed by fire on 16th June 1864.

In September 1890, John Cheetham & Son bought the mill for £400

Albert Mills, BrighouseRef 15-A369

Albert Mills, EllandRef 15-A366
Saddleworth Road, Bank Bottom.

In the fire of 7th June 1860, the mill – then owned by Luke Crossley and referred to as Crossley's Mill – burned to the ground and was described as

21 yards long by 16 wide, and 5 storeys high. The bottom room was used as a blue dyehouse, being stocked with vats worth nearly //1,000. The other 4 rooms were filled with tumming machines, dules, powerlooms &c with a very fair stock of wool and shoddy


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

After it burned down, Smithies rebuilt the mill. The new 6-storey mill was lit by electricity.

This is the mill where Saddleworth Road gets very narrow and joins Elland Bridge.

Part of the mill buildings were demolished when Smithies closed down in the 1970s.

See Mary Bates

Albert Mills, MidgleyRef 15-2

Albert Mills, MytholmroydRef 15-A339
Woollen mills. Built by Ratcliffe brothers, Squire and Joshua Ratcliffe.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Albert Mills, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-422


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Albert Springs Brewery, HalifaxRef 15-1246
Brewery established by John Sykes at Boothtown.

Recorded in 1874.

The Halifax Courier Saturday 6th October 1877 announced


Auction Sale at Albert Springs Brewery, Boothtown, Halifax on the 9th October 1877.

For John Sykes (Brewer) who is disposing of the business and Freehold

 

It was bought by Webster's in 1877.

The Halifax Courier Saturday 18th October 1879 announced


Albert Brewery, New Pellon, Halifax.

To be Sold by Auction re John Rhodes & Company in liquidation

 

Albert Street Mills, HalifaxRef 15-841
Albert Street.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Albert Works, HalifaxRef 15-358
Ward's End. The building at the junction of New Road and Horton Street was built in 18??

It was occupied by J. Brearley & Sons, boot manufacturers.

The building became run-down in the 1970s.

It was restored in 1990.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Albert Works, Hebden BridgeRef 15-807
Albert Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Albion Brewery, WarleyRef 15-A109
Originally the Victoria Brewery. It was owned by John Naylor & Company.

The maltings were designed Thomas William Helliwell [1876]. There was a 7-storey brewing tower and a 3-storey fermenting room [1886].

Recorded in 1907

See Naylor's Walk, Warley and Rose & Crown, Ripponden

Albion Iron Works, HalifaxRef 15-117
Beacon Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Albion Mill, EllandRef 15-560
James Street.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

There were fires at the mill

Albion Mill, HalifaxRef 15-A346
Bailey Hall Road.

The mill stands alongside Halifax Railway Station.

They were built by Robert Crossley and were used for the manufacture of carpets.

Joah Bates invested money in the mill. This was lost when the mill burned down in 1791, nearly ruining him.

A fire damaged the mill on 30th April 1868.

Owners and tenants have included


Question: Can anyone confirm that Albion Mill was actually the Mill on Bailey Hall Road, which was occupied by Crossley's and Rigge & Hatton and damaged by fire in 1868?

Newspaper reports said that the damaged mill was owned by Evan Charles Sutherland-Walker

 

In 1880, Henry Edmunds installed electric lighting here.

John Mackintosh & Sons Limited, moved here in 1909 following a fire at their Queens Road site.

The Mill was demolished in ????

See Louis John Crossley and Lilly Lane Baths, Halifax

Albion Mill, TodmordenRef 15-347
Roomfield Lane/Halifax Road. Built by Firth, Howarth & Firth in 1835.

The chimney was blown down by a hurricane on 6th January 1839 and fell on the workshop of Lord Brothers in Canal Street.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill closed in 19??. It was demolished in 199?.

In 1995, a supermarket was built on the site and a planning consent condition was that it should be constructed using the original stone from the mill

Albion Works, HalifaxRef 15-935
Square Road.

Next to Square Congregational Church.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Square Works, Halifax

Albion Works, Hebden BridgeRef 15-496
Stubbin Holme.

Aka Stubbing Holme Dye Mill.

The property was built after 1851, and before 1905.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Alexandra Mills, BrighouseRef 15-A370
Mill Royd Street.

5-storey high and 17-windows wide silk-spinning mill built by George Hepworth for Ormerod Brothers Limited [1872].

The mill burned down on 26th October 1903, and fireman Alexander Carmichael was killed on his way to blaze.

Owners and tenants have included

See Alexander Carmichael

Alexandra Shed, WadsworthRef 15-128

Alexandra Works, HalifaxRef 15-933
Preston Street / Francis Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Alhambra Works, HalifaxRef 15-961


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

All Souls' Memorial Works, HalifaxRef 15-385
Boothtown Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See All Souls' Church, Haley Hill

Allerton Wire Works,HalifaxRef 15-1406
Allerton Place.

Owners and tenants have included

Alma Mill, WalsdenRef 15-A353
Built alongside the canal at Hollins Lock, Walsden, by the Todmorden Commercial Spinning & Manufacturing Company, this was the first mill to be built in Todmorden after the Companies Act [1855]. The mill opened in 1856.

With the Cotton Famine of the 1860s, the mill was put on the market and auctioned at the Golden Lion Inn, and was sold to Abraham Ormerod & Brothers.

In 1905, the mill was occupied by the Walsden Mill Company.

The mill was demolished in 19??

See Alma, Cottonstones

Alma Road Wood Works, HalifaxRef 15-842
Horley Green.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Alumex Works, HalifaxRef 15-4460
Engineering business at Water Lane.

The works were demolished in 2010

Ambler Thorn Fire Clay WorksRef 15-A338
See Parkinson Spencer Refractories

Ambler Thorn Mine, QueensburyRef 15-651
Stone mine/quarry.

Owners and tenants have included

 

Anchor Mill, TodmordenRef 15-714
Roomfield Lane (Halifax Road).

Owners and tenants have included

 

The mill was demolished in 2005.

See Feathers Mill

Anchor Pit, CliftonRef 15-1143
Coal mine. Recorded in 1851

Angel Quarry, HalifaxRef 15-597
Stannary / Birks Hall Lane. Recorded in 1907

Ann Street Printing Works, HalifaxRef 15-844
Ann Street, Northgate.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Arch View Picker Works, TodmordenRef 15-1028
Lydgate.

See Arch View, Todmorden and Picker

Archer Street Mill, HalifaxRef 15-689
Paradise Street / Kent Street / Archer Street.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Arden Works, HalifaxRef 15-A368
Fenton Road / Summergate Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Asda SupermarketsRef 15-1372
The company has outlets in the district, some purpose-built, other established in existing property.

See Battinson Road Mills, Halifax, Broad Lea Mill, Elland, Halifax Dairies Limited, Marshfield Mill, Elland and Thrum Hall Rugby Ground

Ashday Park Stone Quarries, SouthowramRef 15-1121
It was a source of high quality Elland Flags.

Between 1887 & 1956, it yielded fireclay.

Owners and tenants have included

An advertisement in May 1899 announced


ASHDAY PARK STONE QUARRIES

Quarries to Let.

Apply: W. H. Sladden, Brighouse.

Ashday Hall now undergoing repairs and can be divided for the convenience of Lessees who wish to be on the spot.

Stabling, Laithe and other outbuildings are also at liberty

 

See Ashday Rutway

Ashgrove Mine, SouthowramRef 15-1290
Coal and clay mine.

Recorded in 1896, when (possibly) John Ainley was here

Asia Mill, TodmordenRef 15-99

Aspinall's Quarries, Hove EdgeRef 15-1077


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

 

On 19th March 1867, a stone barer at the quarries, received serious head injuries by a fall of earth and was taken to Halifax Infirmary where he died 20 minutes later

Asquith Bottom Dye Works, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-44


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Asquith Bottom Mills, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-45


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

In 20th April 1903, the mills were damaged by fire.

In 1937, the mill was badly damaged by fire.

The Halifax Courier of 3rd June 1939, reported the creation of a Bowling Green at the Mill for the workpeople of William Edleston Limited to play during their dinner hour, evenings & holidays

Atkinson's Mill, Colne BridgeRef 15-262
Aka Colne Bridge Mill

Atkinson's Silk Mill, BoothtownRef 15-506
A manager at the mill died in the 1849 cholera outbreak.

See Boothtown Silk Mill

Atlas Boiler Works, HalifaxRef 15-435
Gibbet Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

On 30th January 1875, there was a boiler explosed at the works

Atlas Carpet Works, HalifaxRef 15-A233
Aka Atlas Mill Carpet Works.

The property stood at the northern side of Sedburgh Road, on the west bank of the Hebble Brook.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Atlas Dye Works, HalifaxRef 15-380
Sedbergh Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Atlas Mill Brewery, BrighouseRef 15-A6
Established at Atlas Mill Road [2006].

See Black Swan, Brighouse and Tipp Inn, Brighouse

Atlas Mill, BrighouseRef 15-A102
Built 1862 for Thomas Blackburn of Phoenix Mill.

5-storey mill – 120 ft long and 60 ft wide. 13 windows (50 yards) long, 8 windows (20 yards) wide

Built in 1862 for Thomas Blackburn. It was designed by Edward Bull. James Dyson was involved in the construction.

It stood alongside the canal on Atlas Mill Road, Brighouse.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It was damaged by fire on 21st February 1873.

In another fire on 21st December 1898, James Arthur Nuttall died from injuries suffered whilst trying to rescue people from the fire. Other people who were mentioned in reports of the fire included

The Mayor of Brighouse opened a subscription list for the sufferers.

The fire stimulated much discussion about health and safety conditions in the mills, and measures for dealing with fires.

The Empire Theatre opened on the site

Atlas Oil Works, HalifaxRef 15-1301
Owners and tenants have included

Atlas Soap Works, EllandRef 15-279
South Lane.

Built by Samuel Dyson in 1885. Electric light was installed at the Works and at Dyson's home nearby.


Owners and tenants have included

 

The mill was destroyed by fire on 5th July 1924



© Malcolm Bull 2021
Revised 10:07 / 11th July 2021 / 49409

Page Ref: M408_A

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind