Lighthazels Chapel, Soyland – known as Lighthazels United Methodist Chapel / Lighthazels Methodist New Connexion Chapel – opened in 1816 by a group who had left Stones Methodist Church, Ripponden.
Meetings were initially held at Clay House, Soyland.
A Sunday school was established in 1823.
A meeting – on 17th June 1823 – recorded that
the School shall be called a New Connexion School, and the scholars shall go to the Ebenezer Chapel as a place of worship
The School became too small, at a plot of land was bought near to Clay House, Soyland for £11 5/-
The one-roomed building was named Lighthazels.
In 1862, a vestry was added, and the words
Union is Strength, and Friendship is Sweet
were inscribed over the door.
In 1866, a subscription was opened in order to raise the roof and to add a gallery. This was done at a cost of £400, and opened in 1868 providing additional seating for 140 people. Henry Stott of Brighouse offered to donate £100 if the congregation could match the sum.
Before 1868, as in the Sunday School tradition, men sat on the left side of the Chapel; women sat on the right.
In 1868, a harmonium was acquired to replace the original string & reed band.
In 1879, a subscription was opened to build another vestry, and a building for the heating equipment. These were added in 1880; the vestry cost £131 10/6d; the heating cost £40.
In 1893, 2 cottages adjoining the Chapel was acquired for £50.
Recorded in 1905 & 1935.
Closed in 19??.
The Chapel was demolished.
It was situated just off Lighthazels Road, Soyland, along a lane opposite Thurst House, Soyland
There was no burial ground at the Chapel, and many interments took place at Stones Methodist Church Graveyard
See Lighthazels United Methodist Memorial
Page Ref: X399
|site search by freefind|