John Edward Blackburn Howe



John Edward Blackburn Howe was the son of Benjamin Howe.

After attending Huddersfield College in 1870, he was articled for several years with William Lancaster solicitors in Bradford before joining the business established by his father as a cotton merchant in Brighouse.

He was very active in local and political affairs first becoming elected on 11th September 1879 to the Rastrick Local Board.

He subsequently served on Brighouse Borough Council as a councillor for 11 years until retiring in 1901.

He was elected Liberal Councillor in the Brighouse Municipal Elections of 1893.

He had a particular interest in Health and Sanitation matters.

He was a director of Brighouse & Rastrick Liberal Club Building Company Limited which funded the Brighouse Liberal Club [1877]. He was Secretary of the Club for several years, and President for a term.

He was a director of The Brighouse and Elland News Limited and a member of the Halifax Borough Clubs.

He inherited a considerable amount of property from his uncle, Benjamin Blackburn, in particular 32 houses at Clifton Common and retail premises in Commercial Street, Brighouse as well as other commercial premises in the town.

In September 1879, he married Fanny Jane Earle [18??-1900] in Pontefract.


Fanny Jane was the daughter of George Earle of Whitwood Hall, Normanton and formerly of Fixby
 

They had no children.

In 1882, he bought The Newlands, Huddersfield Road, Brighouse.

In his will (proved June 1908), he left his property interests in trust to Julia, younger daughter of Alderman David Crowther Holmes of Briggate, Brighouse




© Malcolm Bull 2021
Revised 15:04 / 12th May 2021 / 4095

Page Ref: X440

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind